1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Opera browser font problem??

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by md2lgyk, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. md2lgyk

md2lgyk Thread Starter

Does Win 98 have a "default" font used for web pages (or portions thereof) where a font is not specified? All of a sudden, many web pages, including this one, are displaying differently. For example, on the main page, the topic titles (Business Applications, All Other Software, etc.) look like they always have but the writing beneath them is now displayed in italics. I have no clue why.

If there is a default font, how do I change it?

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

md2lgyk
    Internet Explorer does have font selection settings located at Internet Options\General click fonts tab. Font specified there will display on all webpages were font is not specified within the specific webpage coding.

You may also want to try cleaning your Temp Internet files including all offline content.

Dave

3. md2lgyk

md2lgyk Thread Starter

Thanks. Not quite the answer I was looking for though. I don't use Internet Explorer - my browser of choice is Opera. I guess I should've posted my question in their forum but I thought it was a Windows issue.

I have tried cleaning Temp internet files, etc. without success.

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

md2lgyk
    Most browsers have a default font selection but I do not use Opera so I cannot be specific for you. If this phenomenon only occurs in your browser and not in main windows then the problem should be with the browser.
    If this problem only occurs in your browser let me know and I will change the threads subject line to draw attention to your problem with opera. I know several techs here use that browser.

Dave

5. brindle

brindle

[​IMG] how mine are set.
    Mine will sometimes flash italic but then correct itself.
    have you cleaned out your font folder lately?

Attached Files:

6. md2lgyk

md2lgyk Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Yes, the problem only occurs in Opera. No, I haven't cleaned my Fonts folder in a long time, but I do have a European college student staying with us for the summer and he has done some other strange things while he's been here. Perhaps he unknowingly did something to cause this.

It's interesting you say your Opera will flash italic and then correct itself. I've been using Opera for a couple of years (currently have 7.2) and I've never seen it before now.

7. brindle

brindle

Me either it just did it a few times in the last week or so and only on TSG. Hasn't lately.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I've been using Times New Roman/Regular/12 min in Opera and the readability is fairly consistent with other sites.

However, I have noticed that changing styles in Opera does not force a change in TSG's font selection, which overrides Opera. I know IE has an option to override styles specified by web sites, but I am unaware of any such option in Opera.

In other words you can change your font style in Opera, or at least I can, and it remains the same when visiting TSG.

By the way, this does not seem to apply to italicized fonts. But you must click that "choose" tab to actually see what you have selected.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168991

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice