1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Opera Browser

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by bcvb32, Apr 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bcvb32

bcvb32 Thread Starter

For some reason this browser will not run on my Windows 10 system. All other browsers do. I just thought I would give it a try and don't really need it, but I would really like to know what it is that prevents it from running. It loads up fine but when I click on a site, it tries to connect but fails with no explanation except that it took too long to respond. I do not use a proxy server.

2. ComputerTechMan

ComputerTechMan

ok, I would say there's just some sort of software missing or outdated, you say "all other browsers" work. might I ask what others work?

3. bcvb32

bcvb32 Thread Starter

Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer (Edge). I have been using Chrome.

4. JohnMcDaniel

JohnMcDaniel

First Name:
    John
    I am not an Opera user also but can you post some pics or the error message pop up every time you use it?

5. 2twenty2

2twenty2

Disable "Turbo" in Opera settings and then try again.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  6. bcvb32

bcvb32 Thread Starter

I clicked on Amazon and the following happened: On the tab called speed dial the little circle starts spinning. After 4 minutes I got this message:

This site can’t be reached
    redir.opera.com took too long to respond.
    Check your internet connection.
    Check any cables and reboot any routers, modems, or other network devices you may be using.

If it is already listed as a program allowed to access the network, try removing it from the list and adding it again.

If you use a proxy server...
    Check your proxy settings or contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is working. If you don't believe you should be using a proxy server.

7. ComputerTechMan

ComputerTechMan

this appears to be quite common with opera
    during research i found multiple people have suffered from this although majority of them were about 5 years ago

8. ComputerTechMan

ComputerTechMan

ok, what malware protection do you have? check over the firewall settings and make sure that opera is on the whitelist

9. bobs-here

bobs-here

First Name:
    Bob
  10. bcvb32

bcvb32 Thread Starter

The only thing I am using is System Mechanic which checks for malware and virusus. Opera is not on Firewall list. I did try removing Opera and the original download file and reinstall but that didn't work

11. bobs-here

bobs-here

First Name:
    Bob
    i always thought of system mechanic as a cleanup tool and optimiser (payfor). this kind of list, below. but if i'm mistaken, please tender my apologies.
    • Boosts PC speed
    • Removes bloatware
    • Unleashes Internet speed
    • Repairs problems
    • Protects privacy and security
    • Cleans out useless clutter

as opera browser is a 32bit program use revo uninstaller to uninstall opera.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/revo_uninstaller.html

12. bcvb32

bcvb32 Thread Starter

Thank you for your time. I used Revo to remove Opera so it is now gone and forgotten. I should not have spent so much time fretting over it but my curiosity got the best of me. Now on to other things. Thanks again.

13. bobs-here

bobs-here

First Name:
    Bob
    your welcome :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1169428

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice