1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OPERA browser

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by cardlady47, Nov 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cardlady47

cardlady47 Thread Starter

I was just looking for general opinions on the browser Opera. I have downloaded it in the free form and am happy with the speed,although it is going to take a bit to learn properly....does anyone have the bought version and if you do, do you think it is worth the money....or is Firefox's newest version just as good.
    Appreciate any input.
    Thank you.
    Annette

2. shadowcat

shadowcat

I switched from Opera (7.5x) to Firefox because I found Opera a bit too cumbersome to configure after they added a bunch of features. I used the free version and I don't believe paying would have made any difference other than removing the ad banner on top. I never liked the way Opera had their bookmarks and made it very difficult for you to move your favorites around.

I prefer Firefox because it's lighter, easy to personalize and moving/organizing the bookmarks is not a big production as it was with Opera.

3. brindle

brindle

I've been using Opera for several years and love it.It's fast,smooth and no pop ups.....the bookmark area does take some getting use to but all in all a superb browser..the pay version will only remove the banner, which I don't notice.....

4. TOGG

TOGG

I first got Opera 7.22 and liked it so much I paid for it and am now at v.7.54. I hate all forms of advertising, so I thought it worth paying to be rid of it, in the same way as I was happy to donate here to remove the ads..

As with any new software, I found it strange to get used to and I know from visiting the Forums that I probably haven't found more than 10% of the tweaks available to get the most from what it is capable of.

I also have a copy of Firefox but didn't bother to d/l any of the 'extras' available and haven't spent a lot of time trying to learn how to use it because I keep using Opera.

With my ancient system there is no way I can judge any difference in operating speeds etc. because everything seems to go at roughly the same pace ie: slow!!.

On a purely personal note, I am not a fan of the standard Firefox GUI whereas I found the Opera one (minus adverts) very pleasant to look at and easy to use.

PS. I've just remembered that, in the first version of Opera, the ad banner appeared to cover some of the toolbar icons/shortcuts at the top of the screen, which I only discovered after I'd paid. I assume the functions covered by those icons were still available, but would have to be searched for under the Options or File tabs. The interface has changed now, so I don't know if that still happens.

5. cardlady47

cardlady47 Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the interesting input....
    I will stay with Opera a bit longer and see how it fairs.
    Again thanks.

6. brindle

brindle

most of the buttons are hidden behind the small banner....to view them move the tool bar to the bottom of the page, then you have the choice of all of them ....select the ones you want viewable at the top..delete those you don't want to see....

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/295039

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice