1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Opera browser

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by rosmari, Apr 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rosmari

rosmari Thread Starter

I downloaded the browser Opera and like its features, but have several problems (I'm using Windows 98):

1) when I installed it, it stopped at about 3% and said that the installation file is corrupt. However, most of it seems to be installed and working, except some files in "Help", which cannot be opened. Nor can I get or send out email.

2) I brought in (manually) all my Netscape bookmarks. I was trying to copy them into WORD (as a backup); to that purpose I exported them - they are now in a .adr file, and I (probably foolishly) gave them the destination "Microsoft". But I can't open the file. The message is "Windows cannot find local", and "this program is needed for opening files of type 'ADR File'. I have to write in the "location of local", but whatever location I type in, it adds a "\local" to it.

2. rosmari

rosmari Thread Starter

this is a copy of my earlier posting, but I corrected my email address to [email protected]

I downloaded the browser Opera and like its features, but have several
    problems (I'm using Windows 98):

1) when I installed it, it stopped at about 3% and said that the installation file
    is corrupt. However, most of it seems to be installed and working, except
    some files in "Help", which cannot be opened. Nor can I get or send out email.

2) I brought in (manually) all my Netscape bookmarks. I was trying to copy
    them into WORD (as a backup); to that purpose I exported them - they are
    now in a .adr file, and I (probably foolishly) gave them the destination
    "Microsoft". But I can't open the file. The message is "Windows cannot find
    local", and "this program is needed for opening files of type 'ADR File'. I have
    to write in the "location of local", but whatever location I type in, it adds a
    "\local" to it.

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I don't know if I can be of much help here, I just installed and am learning to use Opera as well.

I had no trouble locating my Internet Explorer favorites within Opera's bookmarks (they were already imported) and making them accessible in its "Hotbar" (f4) feature. I don't know if the same applies to Netscape.

What is an .adr file? And why try to save a bookmark in it? The extension, whatever it is, is not a part of Opera's default File Types, although possibly you could add it if you know what it belongs to.

I've merged the "duplicate" post, we want to keep just one thread on the problem.

4. Ratboy

Ratboy

Rollin' Rog - The ADR file is Opera's Bookmark file extension. The file name for Opera 6's bookmark file is opera6.adr.

Rosmari,

1) I would suggest to redownload the Opera software. Then uninstall the current version, reboot computer, and end task on all programs running in the background (Ctrl-Alt-Del > End Task) except Explorer and Systray. Then reinstall Opera using the redownloaded file.

2) I'm not sure I completely understand what you did to the Netscape Bookmarks.

If what you want to do is create a backup file then, hit Ctrl-B in Netscape. This will bring up the Bookmark window.

NS 4.7x: Select File > Save As.
    NS 6.x: Select File > Export Bookmarks.

In the window that comes up, select the directory where you want to save the bookmark file to. Do not change the the 'File name' or 'Save as type' settings. Click 'Save'.

There is no need, however, to create a backup in order to import your Netscape Bookmarks into Opera.

In Opera select File > Import > Netscape bookmarks.

If you created backup Bookmark files, then navigate to the directory you saved the bookmark file to, select the file and click 'Open'.

If you did not backup the bookmark file, then navigate to the directory where the NS Bookmark file is stored, select it and click on 'Open'.

The easiest way to find where it is stored is to go to Start > Find > Files or Folders. The Bookmark file for NS 4.7x is named bookmark.htm. The Bookmark file for NS 6.x is named bookmarks.html.

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Thanks Ratboy, I should have looked in the Programs folder not the File Types dialog for it.

6. rosmari

rosmari Thread Starter

thank you, Rollin'Rog and Ratboy.I will follow your suggestion and uninstall it.

However, I am concerned that in the process I may lose the many bookmarks that I painstakingly inputted into the Opera Hotlist. I had culled them from my Netscape bookmarks list, but added, changed and eliminated quite a few while doing that - which is to say that my still existing Netscape bookmarks list is not identical to my Opera Hotlist (bookmark list). Therefore, if I could save my Opera Hotlist - preferably in WORD, as I did in Netscape (edit>copy>paste) - BEFORE uninstalling Opera, I would feel much better.

So, my question is: how do I copy the Opera Hotlist, preferably into WORD?

As I mentioned in my original query, I tried to export them: file>export>opera bookmarks>(then the window "save as" comes up, and that's probably where I goofed: I saved it in C:Word; and then, when I clicked it in Windows Explorer, it gave me the message "Windows cannot find local", and "this program is needed for opening files of type 'ADR File'.")

Thanks!

7. rosmari

rosmari Thread Starter

Subsequent to my last post, I saved (??) the Hotlist, and re-downloaded Opera. The installation was complete, and everything seems to be working well, though the many bookmarks I had so painstakingly inputted did indeed disappear.

However, as I just mentioned, I did save them. But unfortunately they landed in a file that I am unable to open. They are in a 64KB ADR file (I put it into C:Word). How can I convert that file to a .doc file?

Thank you for your help...

8. Ratboy

Ratboy

rosmari,

To view the OPERA6.ADR file in Word:

Start Word and select File > Open.

Change the 'Files of type' to All Files (*.*). This will allow you to see all the files available. Navigate to the directory where you saved the Opera Bookmark file (C:\Word\Opera6.adr), select the file and click 'Open'.

Word will display an 'File Conversion' window. It should already have 'Other encoding: Unicode (UTF-8)' selected. Click 'OK'. The Opera Bookmark file will display. As you can see, it is very different from Netscape's Bookmark file.

I recommend not saving the file as a *.DOC since this will change the formating and prevent Opera from being able to use it.

To import the file back into Opera, just use the Import feature (File > Import > Opera bookmarks) and navigate to c:\word\opera6.adr, select the file and click 'Open'.

You should now have all your previously saved bookmarks back.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/74750

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice