1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Opera Crashing

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by aka Brett, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned Thread Starter

Anyone else having problems with the new opera 11 crashing on a regular basis ?
    Examples are after a download of a file
    Many tabs open and closing one
    After changing settings.
    Others just random.

I had tried opera 2 or 3 years back and really didnt like it....just didnt like the the way it was set up{didnt give it enough time to see if it had crash problems},but after giving it another chance here recently and going through all the options it is a pretty customizable browser with some decent features....but crashes and gives the option to send a crash report
    I have read on the Internet of others having crash problems......anyone have any knowledge of common culprits that can cause opera crashing.

2. TOGG

TOGG

I don't suppose that negative responses are very helpful but, for what it's worth, I haven't had any crashing issues with version 11 (so far).

As a fairly long term Opera user (4/5 years), I have noticed that recent versions seem to have more problems displaying certain websites properly (including this one). Although it's not possible to be precise, the problems seem to date back to the time when Opera began to introduce 'extras' like 'Unite' and 'Synchronize' etc.

3. aka Brett

Its good to hear its not crashing on you...that means there is a variable on my system that is causing crashes.
    All reports are welcome :)

4. aka Brett

More bad news...I also had some sites that didnt work proper...the most recent being some yahoo pages, {members profile album}I tried to mask and identify as ff and ie and still couldnt get the images to display,so a big strike for opera.

5. TOGG

TOGG

I should probably clarify my earlier comment about display problems by making it clear that they are, mostly, quite trivial. Here at TSG it takes the form of some post reader counts appearing twice or three times, but the rest of each page is fully legible.

The worst case is where the content of some pages appears as a narrow line in the centre of an otherwise blank screen. It seems to affect Secunia quite often and might have something to do with the fact that they 'revamped' their site last year and, for some reason, Opera has problems dealing with the new software/layout that Secunia use. The site works fine in Firefox so that's what I use when I want to run the OSI.

6. aka Brett

I also noticed on this site with opera I cant switch the editor while in advanced mode...not really a big deal as I dont do it that often,but it does show there are some shortcomings..I was visiting a blog the other day the page came up blank,but shown in ff, then the yahoo display problem..there are some issues.not major as you say but they do exist..I hope they come out with a patch to fix these small issues as the browser otherwise has some nice features

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!