1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Opera wins the Browser race

Discussion in 'Tech-Related News' started by DNA_Uncut, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DNA_Uncut

DNA_Uncut Thread Starter

2. gr277

gr277

IE7 overall scoring higher than Firefox?
    IE7 Security scores more than Firefox?
    They must really be joking.....:(
    As far as I am concerned IE always plays catch up ...;)

3. CrazyComputerMan

CrazyComputerMan

First Name:
    Robert
    Well, The problem is Netscape Navigator is closing down...

But i still use Netscape :D

4. Omega_Shadow

Omega_Shadow

There are malwares that specificaly target FF now that, from the cases I have dealt with, force the user to completely uninstall FF and all user settings and then reinstall to fix.

5. gr277

gr277

I have been using FF (with NoScript) for a long time and I occasionally scan my system with AVG Anti-Spyware. Nothing is ever found.
    After installing SP1, I decided to use IE7 for a couple of hours. I then run AVG.
    It found 3 tracking cookies in 12 different locations, despite the fact that I do not accept 3rd party cookies.(n)
    I am aware that some people do not bother with tracking cookies, but I detest them.
    For me FF (with NoScript) is the safest browser. Never had the slightest problem with it.(y)

6. Omega_Shadow

Omega_Shadow

Good for you. Personally, I hate IE and used FireFox for the longest time while running a corporate version of Avast!.
    But in the last few months most of the companies computers became compromised due to malware attacking FF (among other things).

So, we moved to Opera. Overall I am happy with it, very secure and fast. But things change and I tend to keep an open mind to FF and even IE to see what they are going to do next.

7. JEBWrench

JEBWrench

*polishes lapel* Hey, OS....

Toldya so. ;)

8. Omega_Shadow

Omega_Shadow

yeah yeah yeah, live it up while you can. Still can't believe I went four pages with ya about how FF was better then Opera then about a year later I come back and pitch opera. Crazy stuff :D

You have a lapel? Whats the occation? Other then being right of course

9. JEBWrench

JEBWrench

None in particular. :p

Of course, if Opera catches on in popularity, then the same thing will happen to it, security-wise, as FireFox. So it's an endless cycle.

10. Omega_Shadow

Omega_Shadow

exactly. Thats why it is important to keep an open mind. IE IS safer then FF this time around cause everyone and their brother coded bugs for Firefox. Once Opera becomes top dog in usage we can expect the same reaction and FF will be the safe one again. Personally I hope that doesn't happen anytime soon. I just got done installing Opera to all the stores systems

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm stunned you guys have so many malware issues relating to browsers. My wive uses IE, and I use FF, and that simply doesn't happen here. My Vista system is still using IE7. I don't have any software firewalls, only the router's firewall. I use AVG free or Avast!, and I run SuperAntiSpyware.

I can count on one hand the times one of these products has alerted me to an incursion, and I don't remember the last time I had malware, but I believe it was about three years ago when I was fixing someone else's system and foolishly connected their hard disk to my system and ran a couple of utilities from it.

12. JEBWrench

JEBWrench

I've never actually had a serious malware issue pertaining to browsers.

I just find Opera to be faster and have a better, and uncluttered user interface. :p

13. Omega_Shadow

Omega_Shadow

I see your as tactful as ever john.

If you stand still, of course your not going to get anything. I run out of fingers counting the number of systems that went down THIS WEEK cause some morons clicked on a popup saying their computer was infected :rolleyes: You and me, we don't click on those things cause we know what they are. I would rather change the software to something that prevents the problem then try to re-educate the dumb-masses.

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Don't let morons use computers. ;)

15. hewee

hewee

I use Firefox with NoScript too and have my cookie setting to only allow cookies base on the Exception list.
    Only have a hand full of site with Allow and then others with Allow for session and then some blocked.
    All other cookies are blocked by default and don't get added to the Exception list.
    This is the best way to deal with cookies. But the "block 3rd party cookies box is not check because it only goes by the rights you gave each site that is in your Exception list.
    Still it would matter if you block 3rd party cookies or use the Exception list rules if any site in the Exception list has allow or allow for session is there it can site set a cookie from another site. Like if I block all 3rd party cookies and I am at google and do a search or another site that can bring up 3rd party cookies on "tech forums" google will added a 3rd party cookie for "Techguy". It adds Techguy bbsessionhash cookies without me ever having been t this site because Techguy is in the Exception list asallow or allow for session so it still uses the same rights. This a still a 3rd party cookie because I got it from another site but the rules I have on techguy over rules so the cookie still gets set even if it is a 3rd party.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698567

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice