Opera Won't Load

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

panamahat

Hi:

I've checked here and see some other folks have similar problems but not quite the same. I run Opera 10.0.0.0 and since downloading it, I've had trouble, much worse recently. For awhile, I was just getting slow loading. Then I was getting the following error message:

"Could not connect to remote server
You tried to access the address http://my.opera.com/, which is currently unavailable. etc., etc." Doesn't matter what site it is; happens with all of them.

Most of the time, if I clicked the refresh button, it would go through on the second try.

Now, I can't get through at all, which is really frustrating. I've accessed Opera support on Explorer and it's of no help whatsoever. I've checked to make sure I don't have a proxy server problem. My cache is dumped when I exit.

I see that some people are on 10.5 and they're having loading problems -- albeit differet ones -- too, so upgrading is not an option.

I live and die by my Opera favorites and love most features of Opera. Hate to go back to IE or maybe try FF again so am hoping for a solution.

I'll be grateful for any help y'all can offer.

Thanks,
Jane
Dell Inspiron 1520
Vista

Hey Jane;

Try removing opera from your system, then downloading 10.51. I don't know what problems people are having, but it works super fast and is quite reliable. Another option is Chrome from Google.

badness

I have used Opera for quite some time and the only times I experience these problems is when my connection is acting up.

panamahat

Thanks, Guys,
I'm having the internet connection checked, number one.
Two, I'll download the updated Opera and try it. But what happens, badness, to my favorites? Do I need to save them somewhere beforehand (not so good at that -- I always get confused)?
Thanks again,
Jane

If memory serves, they should just stay in a cache on your computer somewhere and then automatically reappear after you download and run the new program. In order to keep them though, you can also go into bookmarks, manage bookmarks, export opera bookmarks to a file. Then after you download and run the updated opera, you can import the file in bookmarks.

panamahat

Thanks to all of you!!! Will repost when I get everything sorted out.
Jane

to badness
Correct about the favorites. SpeedDial will also be intact.

I've just installed 10.52 via the 'Help' menu and everything survived,(as it did on previous upgrades).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online