operating cost

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gaftop1

don't really know where to put this, but, how much should it cost to run 2 computers 24 hours a day for a month? my electric bill is horrendous.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
gaftop1 said:
don't really know where to put this, but, how much should it cost to run 2 computers 24 hours a day for a month? my electric bill is horrendous.
Assuming ...

Each computer is using an average of 120 watts. Each display uses about 150 watts, assuming you are using CRT Displays that never go into into a power saving mode. An LCD monitor would use a bit less power.

Source:
http://www.eere.energy.gov/consumer/your_home/appliances/index.cfm/mytopic=10040

That adds up to about 540 watts (or 0.540 Kilowatts) of power consumption.

You would use 12.96 Kilowatt-hours in one 24 hour period.

You would use 388.8 kilowatt-hours in a 30 day month.

The actual cost would be dependent on the what your particular electric power provider is charging you. You should be able to find that information on a recent electrical bill.

To keep things simple, assume a rate of 10 cents per kilo-watt hour. The two computers and monitors running full time would cost you about $39 a month.

In Power save standby mode the computers and CRT monitors would only be using about 120 watts of power (or even less). That works out to 86.4 Kilowatt-hours a 30 day month. At 10 cents per Kilo-watt hour that would be about $8.60 a month for continuous standby mode operation. Your actual cost would be between $8.60 and $39.00 depending on how much each computer is used and how long it waits to go into power save mode.

EDIT: The power consumption numbers in Augie65's link look a lot better (and believable) than what I found on the government web site.

gaftop1

appreciate the info. wife's been blaming the computers for our 400 buck a month elec bill.live in tx and haven't been using the a/c or the heater in the last 2 months and we're still 400 bucks

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
gaftop1 said:
haven't been using the a/c or the heater in the last 2 months and we're still 400 bucks
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Are you on some kind of fixed rate or bill averaging plan?

valis said:
better yet, do you live in downtown houston?
valis, you might check out Bay Town and see if you can find a cheaper place.:D
Did you get your Outlook problem solved?

valis

nope, still research that little issue......got a work around in that she can d/l them to the desktop and open them that way, but that's a pita....so still working on it.....

and btw, I live in Katy, so it's nice and cheap......

valis

dude, that's like 20 minutes from where I live. I'm on Fry and 529. There's a few of us around here.....to quote Al Jourgensen, 'where you at now'?

gaftop1

no fixed rate or averaging. re read the meter they missed it by almost 2000 kwh. am in the processes of pitching a fit at them.also changing service provider from cpl to txu.
thanx for all the replies

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts