1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Operating Issue for Bankruptcy Filing Program "BestCase", ran by XQuartz

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Ian1991, Apr 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ian1991

Ian1991 Thread Starter

I am a law student and I own a MacBook Air that I am using for this pro bono bankruptcy project. Essentially we use this program called BestCase, that prompts you through a series of Schedules that one must fill out in a standard Chapter 7 petition filing. The BestCase program is operated by X11 traditionally, which from what I know, is a program only compatible with PC computers. Because of this compatibility issue, I have to run the program on XQuartz software, which is like the Mac version of X11 from what I understand.

Anyway, as soon as I brought up the program to start filling out the bankruptcy petition via BestCase, when I type things in or use my space bar, it all comes out as gibberish, Ex. I press the space bar and it types a comma, or I type a Q and it comes out an N. Now I did all the commonsense checks like making sure my keyboard was set to "QWERTY" style and in English, but nothing changed. I even called up BestCase's IT support, with them logged into my computer scrolling and they could not find the answer to the keyboard issue after 25 minutes of exploratory efforts. My only option I can think of is to contact Apple Support for XQuartz, but Apple is notoriously opaque, in my opinion, when it comes to providing a # for which you can contact the right people to begin with.

With that said, the IT Director at my university is likewise too busy to handle these issues on my time-sensitive schedule and the petition is due in with the attorney who actually files it by April 15th. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas on what I can do to fix the gibberish typing issue with my keyboard that conveniently ONLY happens when I am logged into BestCase?

2. draceplace

draceplace

Welcome to TSG Ian1991,
    Best case(pun not intended) would be to get on a computer that runs the software correctly.

BestCase system requirements indicates they are not really supporting the software on MAC. If the vendor tech support can't figure it out I think further pursuit of forcing this software to run in a non-standard fashion on the Mac Air will be a waste of valuable time with a deadline looming.

Try this first, you might get lucky. Try plugging a USB keyboard to the device. Also in universal access make sure 'mouse keys' is turned off.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Or use the more common and recommended solutions of running Boot Camp or Parallels both of which work quite well.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146327

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice