1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Operating System CD Question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jk_cahill, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jk_cahill

jk_cahill Thread Starter

Greetings,

I just had a quick question for those who may have some knowledge on this particular topic. I run a PC repair business and I deal with a lot of systems that need to have their operating systems restored for one reason or another. My problem is, I can't reasonably charge my clients for a new copy of their operating system every time I restore it, however with Microsoft Licensing and requiring a cd key every time you install, I see no way around it. Granted, some people hold onto the recovery disks that came with their systems which nullifies this issue. However, I find that a suprising amount of people don't, or bought systems that didn't come with a copy of their operating system. Is there a way that I can purchase a copy of XP, Vista, and 7 that have an open license or dont require a CD key so that I can do these OS restores without having to either A) purchase a new CD key and charge it to the client, or B) recover their CD key from their crashed system with the Microsoft CD Key Finder, then run the risk of that CD key not working because of OEM conflicts or them having "home" edition when I have "professional". If there is a way I could do this I would love to know about it. Thank you very much.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Not really. You need a license for every installation. So if they didn't keep a copy or lost theirs, then they have to pay or try to negotiate for a replacement.

Besides, most new machines have OEM installations that are all different and licensed to their respective manufacturers, so no single installation medium can be used since those keys only work on the altered OEM versions. You would need an OEM copy for each model from each manufacturer (in some cases, but in others the same version is used for multiple models).

3. Hughv

Hughv

I see this constantly with Dells running XP. I've acquired install disks for Home and Pro over the years and have never had a problem using them on a similar Dell. I have different service pack versions that are needed some times, but even that isn't usually a problem.
    In other cases I've used OEM disks and the key that is usually on a label on each machine.
    I also offer a service to buyers of new machines where I transfer all the previous files. install AV and create recovery disks.
    I have yet to understand why, when a new machine usually has several pop ups stating, "Create recovery disks Now!" users ignore it completely and get into trouble later.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    moving to winxp forum
    also closed your other thread

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!