1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Operating System Decay? No W98 Disk.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Narnie, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Narnie

Narnie Thread Starter

Upon advice from a previous post, due to my numerous computer problems, I ran the System File Checker job. I got messages that 6 files may be corrupted. And since I didn't understand the ramifications of the choices, I chose ignore. These are the 6 files that it said may be corrupted---

user.exe
    mfcuia32.dll
    setupx.dll
    mfc30.dll
    mfcans32.dll
    mfco30.dll

They were all in the c:\window system.

After posting this information, I was told to chose the replace file option using my W98 disk. After searching for the disk, I called the manufacturer, who told me that W98 was installed on my system, and I didn't receive a disk as well. His recommendation was that I erase and reformat the computer, due to normal operating system decay, and that he did this every 6 months on his computer. I really don't want to do that, and I know I couldn't do it on my own. But my question is, I did a little research and found out that there is a way, evidently, to have SFC replace the corrupted files using the program files that are on my computer. The OEM files are supposed to be located in C:\Cabs. Does anyone have any experience with this, and know of any possible pitfalls? I would appreciate any input, as I don't want to attempt something that might make my problems worse, and that I won't know how to fix if something goes wrong. I also read that sometimes SFC will not extract the correct files from the disk, since there is more than one version, which would cause major problems, but I am thinking that won't effect me since I am using the files on the hard drive. Is my reasoning correct, does anyone know? Thank you!

2. MadDogMugsy

MadDogMugsy Guest

To reinstall your operating system
    - do a search on your machine for CABS
    (my results produce C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS)
    - then look for SETUP.EXE
    That will start the installation process

I am wondering if ensuring you have all of the latest and greatest updates for your system will help

You could try http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/servicepacks/Windows/98/

or do it the easy way and go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and have your machine scanned for what you need (sends no info to MS)

(this won't recognise corrupt files however)

does this help?
    MDM

3. Narnie

Narnie Thread Starter

Thank you for your response. I wasn't planning on re-installing the entire operating system, but should I do that? Will re-installing the whole operating system erase anything that's already on the computer? I was advised to have the computer replace the possibly corrupt files via the W98 disk, to see if that fixes my constant error messages. I have not upgraded anything on the computer in the 2.5 years that I have had it (bought it new), except IE from 5.5, I think, to 6 within the last few months, which not only did not fix anything, but there have actually been more error messages since then, and many of them are IE messages. As a result of that, I am not keen on upgrading anything else. Any advice is welcomed. Thank you.

4. MadDogMugsy

MadDogMugsy Guest

Hi

re-installing the operating system will not erase other items from your machine - programs and data will remain intact
    But if you want to wait a bit on this ... someone else in here might have a better solution to fix your icky files
    However ...

It is v-e-r-y important to ensure that your operating system files are current - the updates will address many issues, not limited to security and fixes found after-the-fact. **

It is very easy to do this ... just go to that update site at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com ... and click the button that says 'scan for updates' - pay close attention to Critical Updates and Drivers. This site also updates Internet Explorer etc

** it is important to make sure that all of your applications are up-to-date ... developers often find issues after the product has been shipped, find better ways to integrate with other applications, etc. So visit the individual manufacturer's sites now and then to see what is new with the version you own.

Can you give this a try and see what the results are
    ... if you need assistance at any point - hundreds of us are here to help you 24/7 :) no question too big or too small :)

cheers
    MDM

5. flawed_cat

flawed_cat

On the Windows 98 disc the cabs are in a Win98 folder
    (Pretty sure) and I always just drag that folder to my C:.
    Do you have a Win98 folder anywhere? If so, you can extract
    the files you need from there. Be kinda hard to reinstall Win98
    without a Win98 Install CDROM disc if you don't. And if you do
    have the Win98 cab files and choose to do a reinstall, be sure
    to find your Serial key (can be found in the registry) before hand
    as you will need it.

6. jm100dm

jm100dm

Go to start \find\files or folders.

Where it says look in make sure that your hard drive(s) is/are listed. Use the drop down button if you need to change the look in location.

at Named type in cabs
    there may be many listings.
    Double click each folder till you find the one with the windows cabs. There will be around a hundred files in there with 2/3s having win98 in their name. Now you have the file with the cabs in it. Close the file and you will see the folder that you just opened called cabs still in the find feature. Right click on it and at the bottom of the menu click properties. Make a note of the location. For example mine is c: but it could be something else for you. That is where basic-ly your full 98windows cd was dumped into. You can reinstall from dos by going to that folder and typing setup and pressing the enter key.

As far as re-format is concerned. I don't believe it needs to be done till all other options have been exhausted. It is the quick and easy way out but you lose anything that you can not save first. I have had many problems because I do a lot of things just out of curiosity and have not re-formatted in over 4 years.

If you have the cabs then ask for any guidance and someone is sure to respond and get you through it. Re-installing windows does not lose any of your saved filed and folders.

As far as updates I recommend that you take all the critical ones that show up.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Narnie:

If you have not upgraded anything in 2-1/2 years, besides the fact that your computer is lacking numerous updates for Windows and Internet Explorer, I'm sure that it's loaded with temporary and other trash files that need to be deleted. You will find them under:

*.TMP

C:\TEMP\*.* (If this folder exists)

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\*.*

If Windows 98 came pre-installed in your computer and did not have a Windows CD with it(not the recovery CD), the Windows files will be in a folder under:

C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS

or

C:\WIN98

Depending on which one you have, go into the CABS or WIN98 folder and look for a "Setup.exe" file, as you were previously advised. Double-clicking that file will activate the re-install process.

Before you start, go into the MSCONFIG startup tab(click Start - Run, type in MSCONFIG, then click OK), uncheck everything, except ScanRegistry and SystemTray, click Apply - OK, then reboot your computer. This will insure that nothing is running in the background to interfere with the reinstall process.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

:)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117160

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice