1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

operating system missing

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by anniebanany, Nov 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. anniebanany

anniebanany Thread Starter

Please please I need help. I bought a used Siemens Nixdorf Scenic Pro D5 and when I turned it on the screen shows the message ' operating system not found'. There only appears to be an 'A' drive. It was fully operational when purchased. Any ideas?

2. brianF

brianF

What operating system was on the machine???

3. anniebanany

anniebanany Thread Starter

hi - the machine was operating on windows 98. and included the usual eg Excell etc. It doesn't have a modem. Any ideas. p.s. Sorry I disappeared before waiting for an answer. I have just noticed my profile details show me as a junior. DOB should read 1953. The machine was for my son to use (16 yo) and its his birthday today! (1st Dec). Big disappointment all round.

4. brianF

brianF

Moving to windows forum, should get a better reponse there

5. brianF

brianF

Well it appears that the bios can't find the hard drive.

Restart the machine, watch for a message on the bottom of the screen saying press key to enter setup. Or you can try using the delete key just after the machine starts, start tapping the key.
    Once in the bios look for a menu with the primary and slave ide configuration options on it. Should be two sets of two, primary master and slave, secondary master and slave. For the primary master set it to either auto or have it autodetect the hard drive. If it finds the drive you will need to save and exit

The other thing would be to remove the cover and check that the power and ide cable are connected firmly to the harddrive and the ide cable is firmly connected to the motherboard slot.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60254

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice