1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Operating system not found" - BIOS or Hard Drive error?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lord kal, Jul 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lord kal

lord kal Thread Starter

I switched my Fujjitsu-Siemens Amilo li-1718 the other day and was met with the dreaded 'operating system not found' message.

I haven't changed anything big recently, and it's more or less been working fine for a long time now.

I had, however, just had it in a bag and moved it across town, so after reading up I thought maybe something might have come loose inside. But I also read that it could be a BIOS problem, and after going in there I noticed that under 'hard drive' in 'main' it said 'None.' Changing it to auto or user didn't seem to make much difference as it still wouldn't load and would always revert back to none.

However, I also read that if the computer keeps resetting itself to an arbitrary time and date that it can be symptomatic of a CMOS problem... my computer had been doing this occasionally for a month or two before this happened.

I also tried making a windows vista recovery CD, and tried to boot off that, but still got the same 'Operating System Not Found...' message.

Basically, I want to make sure i've tried everything before I open the case and go poking around inside, as I'd really have no idea what i'm doing, but i'm hoping it's just a loose wire that will be pretty self-evident when I open it up.

Any ideas?

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

3. lord kal

lord kal Thread Starter

Thanks a lot, looks pretty simple. Would that cause the computer to fail to recognise the hard drive though?

4. daz1

daz1 Banned

doubtful but if bios is forever resetting as i said can cause all sorts of issues, been a few posts today with this oddly enough, all sorts of wedges being used to secure HDD, in fact some got it going by pressing down on back or fron where the HDD is on boot up to "move" the HDD a tiny bit, think we all forget how fragile a lappy is

5. lord kal

lord kal Thread Starter

well i forgot to mention that I did have the 'CMOS checksum bad' message so i'll give this a go first and report back.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/939727

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice