1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Operating system not found error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PhoenixDown, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PhoenixDown

PhoenixDown Thread Starter

my uncles computer broke down, not sure how. Got to my uncles put in a boot disk, wasnt able to get to the last known good config, so hell with it. fdisk'd it, repartitioned, formatted, inserted Win2000Pro, started copying files, then got to the part where it asks you to take out any floppys and restart, so I take it out and restart, upon restart it comes up with the error ----Operating system not found please insert disk, something of that nature. I tried it with XP also and same error. Any fixes for this?. Thx

2. PhoenixDown

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge It's My Birthday!

First, be sure the primary partition is set as "Active". This can be checked in FDisk program.

Check the BIOS settings and be sure the hard disk is being identified properly.

Format with FAT32 and run this from the DOS prompt afterward:

scandisk c: /autofix /nosave /nosummary /surface

It may take quite some time. Watch for bad clusters.

Next step would be to download a utility from your hard disk manufacturer's web site that will zero the drive (return it to same condition as new in box). Then start over with FDisk, Format, etc.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you are using win2k, there is no need for fdisk, bootdisk, etc. Boot with the win2k cd and delete all partition on the disk. Now create one or more; choose to format with ntfs and you are good to go. Setup will continue and load win2k.

5. PhoenixDown

the primary is set to Active
    its a IBM computer, I tried going into the BIOS, but can't.
    I tried inserting the boot disk, and hitting F8 or F5, but can't get into the BIOS

Hey ALex how do I format it in FAT32 ?

once I get it formatted with F32, then I just run

scandisk c: /autofix /nosave /nosummary /surface ?

and crjdriver. I am not able to boot with the CD, BIOS
    must be set to boot from floppy first, then HDD, but I can't get into the BIOS, any answers??? thanks guys

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is the F1 key for IBMs. Hit that when you see the logo.

7. Alex Ethridge

I use a program called ZAPART to kill all partitions in one fell swoop. Send me a mail to

AlexEthridge[RemoveThis]@Charter.net

and I'll e-mail this tiny piece of freeware.

You'll have to adjust the e-mail address. I do that to keep web crawlers from harvesting my address into spammer's lists.

crjdriver,
    The benefit of formatting in FAT32 and then running scandisk is that it tells you if you have any bad clusters or possibly a failing drive.

So, to say there is "no need" is incorrect.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Formatting in ntfs or running chkdsk from the recovery console will do the same thing. Again fdisk, boot disks, etc are win9x / dos tools. If you are going to run an nt based os, then you should use nt based utilites.

9. Alex Ethridge

Which OS is going to be run is irrelevant if you cannot get it to install or run to do the things you suggest.

It has already been stated that Win2000 will not install or run. So, why don't you give us a suggestion as to how to get NT to run on the system it will not install on so we can check the drive on the system it will not run on.

10. PhoenixDown

hey Alex I sent you a e-mail d00d for that freeware

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I did; he did not know which key to hit to get into the bios. I posted that in a previous post. This will enable the poster to set his bios and boot with the win2k cd.

The reason you do not use fdisk is that it has limitations with ntfs. It is unable to delete an ntfs logical drive in an extended partition. Fdisk can delete a primary partition, however not an extended one. So why would you want to use a tool that only works on some partitions and not others? Use the correct tools to prepair the disk.

12. PhoenixDown

now now boys no need to start a rucus, well I found that link for the ZAPART utility

http://www.firmware.com/support/atapro/zapart.exe

thanks guys, I'll let you know what happens, well I gotta travel up to my uncles, probably wont be til next weekend, but I'll be in touch

13. Alex Ethridge

Check your mail.

14. Alex Ethridge

In this case, scandisk is just another available diagnostic tool.

Scandisk's graph will allow you to see any bad clusters as they are located. Although the CHKDSK is an NT utility, it doesn't afford you that.

Later, if possible, you can set up an NTFS partition.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170066

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice