Operating System not found, Gateway 2000 Solo 2100, Win 95

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MartysLaptopIssues

Hello.

I am trying to fix my mother's old Gateway 2000 Solo 2100 laptop. It used to work perfectly fine, except for a bad battery, but one day when I turned it on I got an "operating system not found" message. I believe it was running Windows 95 before this began happening.

I can't say for sure if this is what showed up when it first stopped working, as it's been some time since then, but this is what appears when I try to start it up now:

Gateway 2000
BIOS version 5.06

CPU = Pentium 133 MHz
0000640K RAM Passed
0023552K Extended RAM Passed
0256K Cache SRAM Passed
System BIOS shadowed
Video BIOS shadowed
Fixed Disk 0: Identified
Failure Fixed Disk 0
Mouse Initialized

Press <F1> to resume, <F2> to Setup

When I press F1, I get the message "Operating System not found". Pressing F1 again just makes it display the message again. I have a Windows 95 install disk, which I assume came with the laptop, but running it makes no difference. I have tried making a few changes in the F2 menu, but this hasn't had any effect either. I currently have the settings reset to their defaults.

When I turn the system on, there is a brief audible popping/crackling noise coming from near the CD drive. I don't remember if this happened when the system worked. This might be normal or a normal result of the computer's age, but I thought I should ask.

At no point am I able to type anything into the BIOS. Again, this may be normal, but I wasn't sure.

Based on what little information I have found online, I suspect the hard drive is broken or malfunctioning. I could probably find a replacement, but I thought I should get a second opinion before I spent money ordering one.

Keep in mind that while I'm not completely illiterate about computers, I have no experience solving problems like this one, especially on a system this old.

As old as that laptop is....I'd check the hdd in it to confirm type of connection....IDE or SATA. To make sure when you buy one you buy a hdd with the correct connection.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If I recall correctly, the Intel Pentium 133 MHz is a 1996-era processor, so that laptop is about 20 years old.

Even if you're successful in replacing the hard drive, how do you plan to get that laptop working again?
You'll need a Windows 95 CD and a bootable floppy disk which contains the necessary files for going through various DOS commands.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Even if you're successful in replacing the hard drive, how do you plan to get that laptop working again?
You'll need a Windows 95 CD and a bootable floppy disk which contains the necessary files for going through various DOS commands.
OP has that.....so it says in first post.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Only a Windows 95 CD is mentioned.
There is no mention of a startup floppy disk.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online