1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Operating System not found, Gateway 2000 Solo 2100, Win 95

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by MartysLaptopIssues, Feb 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MartysLaptopIssues

MartysLaptopIssues Thread Starter

Hello.

I am trying to fix my mother's old Gateway 2000 Solo 2100 laptop. It used to work perfectly fine, except for a bad battery, but one day when I turned it on I got an "operating system not found" message. I believe it was running Windows 95 before this began happening.

I can't say for sure if this is what showed up when it first stopped working, as it's been some time since then, but this is what appears when I try to start it up now:

Gateway 2000
    BIOS version 5.06

CPU = Pentium 133 MHz
    0000640K RAM Passed
    0023552K Extended RAM Passed
    0256K Cache SRAM Passed
    System BIOS shadowed
    Video BIOS shadowed
    Fixed Disk 0: Identified
    Failure Fixed Disk 0
    Mouse Initialized

Press <F1> to resume, <F2> to Setup

When I press F1, I get the message "Operating System not found". Pressing F1 again just makes it display the message again. I have a Windows 95 install disk, which I assume came with the laptop, but running it makes no difference. I have tried making a few changes in the F2 menu, but this hasn't had any effect either. I currently have the settings reset to their defaults.

When I turn the system on, there is a brief audible popping/crackling noise coming from near the CD drive. I don't remember if this happened when the system worked. This might be normal or a normal result of the computer's age, but I thought I should ask.

At no point am I able to type anything into the BIOS. Again, this may be normal, but I wasn't sure.

Based on what little information I have found online, I suspect the hard drive is broken or malfunctioning. I could probably find a replacement, but I thought I should get a second opinion before I spent money ordering one.

Keep in mind that while I'm not completely illiterate about computers, I have no experience solving problems like this one, especially on a system this old.

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

That a classic sign of a failed harddrive. Replace the harddrive.

3. MartysLaptopIssues

MartysLaptopIssues Thread Starter

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  4. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

As old as that laptop is....I'd check the hdd in it to confirm type of connection....IDE or SATA. To make sure when you buy one you buy a hdd with the correct connection.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If I recall correctly, the Intel Pentium 133 MHz is a 1996-era processor, so that laptop is about 20 years old.

Even if you're successful in replacing the hard drive, how do you plan to get that laptop working again?
    You'll need a Windows 95 CD and a bootable floppy disk which contains the necessary files for going through various DOS commands.

---------------------------------------------------------------

6. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

OP has that.....so it says in first post.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Only a Windows 95 CD is mentioned.
    There is no mention of a startup floppy disk.

--------------------------------------------------------------

8. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Startup disks can be downloaded here:
    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

If I remember correctly, the 98se version works better/easier than the 95 version for installing win95.

John.

Syst3mSh0ck likes this.
  9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1184912

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice