1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Operating System not found." on a Presario1685 notebook

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sindrive, Jul 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sindrive

Sindrive Thread Starter

Was given a Compaq Presario 1685 notebook PC but on startup get this message on a black screen: "Operating System not found." The following is what I've tried and the results:

Win 98 Bootup Disk results: "Win 98 has detected that drive C does not contain a valid FAT or FAT32 partition.

FDISK: "No fixed disks present."

Win 98 Setup results: "Cannot create a temporary directory. If you have HPFS or NTFS installed on your hard drive, you will need to create an MS-DOS boot partition to set up Windows."

MS-DOS 6.22 Bootdisk results(FDISK): "No fixed disks present."

The previous owner claims she was in the middle of browsing when computer froze and upon restart began receiving the "Operating System not found."

I'm trying to save the data on the hard drive. Does anyone know any way to bring this one back to life(w/out swapping out the hard drive)?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Sounds like a HDD complete failure.
    You may need to consult a data recovery company, could be an expensive exercise...

3. Sindrive

Sindrive Thread Starter

thanks for the reply...a friend suggested I adapt the laptop HD to my desktop as a slave via a 2 1/2 " to 3 1/2" IDE adapter cable(or some such spec). Has anyone ever attempted/succeeded in doing so?

4. Bait

Bait

I have and it didnt turn out so well (but then again the hard drive was completely dead and wouldnt even read in bios) but as the first guy said you can find Data recovery or other programs to try to bring it back to life and its very expensive the worst case scenario is that the drive is dead and theres nothing you can do the best case is you can recover SOME files before it goes completely dead but there is no way your going to be able to get it into working condition again.

PS. I hate being the bearer of bad news

5. Sindrive

Sindrive Thread Starter

Not a problem, Bait. I appreciate the response above all. In this case, the bad news is good news since I've never opened a laptop before. The experience will do me good.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

What about the BIOS? Does it still detect the drive and its parameters?

It could be a BIOS problem, too. Reflashing or flashing with an update may be worth a try. BIOS can lose its mind, too :D

7. slawless

slawless

Try this compaq site for instructions on how to open your case:

http://www.compaq.com/athome/support/msgs/

I have seen articles on bad hard drives using techniques as freezing the hard drive first then trying to use it. hoping the contraction and expansion will help free it up. Never tried it myself.

Steve L

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

There appear to be no Rompaq's to download from Compaq for that machine. But I'd check the BIOS anyway. Clearing CMOS may be of some use. Who knows?

If you have a hard drive LED, does it show any activity?

9. Bait

Bait

My guess would be probably not due to it not seeing an Operating system. I could be wrong however ALSO if it does read the parameters what are they because you could be looking at an old 10gb or less which would definitely need replacing as Compaq drives were only warrantied for up to 3 or 4 years unless the Laptop is younger than that. But hey you can try all these things but to me it wouldnt be worth the trouble if it is older than 5 years.

10. Sindrive

Sindrive Thread Starter

I can boot to BIOS but detects "NONE" under Primary Master/Slave, "DVD Rom" under Secondary Master. Flashing the BIOS & clearing CMOS are options I've yet to try and plan to do so before popping the hood. Thanks to all for your time and input.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/254469

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice