1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

operating system not found

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by klebovitz, Jan 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. klebovitz

klebovitz Thread Starter

I have a sony vaio (PCG-F650) laptop. When starting the computer, half the time it works and the other half I get the following message:

"operating system not found"

When it does work, the system eventually freezes up could be 10 minutes later could be 3 hours later.

I have tried to initialize the BIOS, to reset the default value, this did not help.

Please, Does anyone have an any ideas, before I determine it is a bad hard drive.

Thank You

klebovitz

2. grybeard22

grybeard22

Hi Kelvitz
    this is just an idea.....when you start the system next go into the bios by pressing the delete key ....once you are there go to ..."HDD auto detect" ....see if it will auto detect the harddrive...if it doesnt then you might either have a hdd that is on its way out or might possibly just have a ribbon cable that has either went bad and the sys is not detecting the HDD or may have become dislodged.

If it were me I would check this first and if everything seems ok then I would try a format and reinstall first before replacing the harddrive.....

just my thoughts
    good luck

3. DiggerBoy

DiggerBoy

I have to agree with the grybeard guy on this!

Sounds to me like:
    1) your hard drive is not seated very well (verify conections)
    2) your hard drive is begining to die (not a question of "if", but "when?")
    3) you should be shopping around for a new hard drive

If you know how to access the hard drive module in your laptop, try physically removing and reinstalling the hard drive (when power is off!) to refresh the electrical connections. Sometimes a bit of oxidation on a pin is all that causes grief!

Good luck!

4. klebovitz

klebovitz Thread Starter

Thank you all for your help. Yes I had the saony vaio pcg-f650 laptop.

I keep getting the "oper syst not found" message. It was the hard drive. Let me tell you. It is a masive issue with the vaio.
    BUT the good news is you do not have to send your vaio to sony or but sonys $400+ 12 gig hard drive. I go the 40 gig travelstar from IBM (via dell) for $120.00 and it works great.

So if you call the sony help line and they tell you that the Vaio is only compatable with ther $400+ 12 gig hard drive they sell, they are full of @#$#.

Again thanks for the help.
    ps this is a great site with a lot of smart and helpful people.;)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111683

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice