1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Operating system not found

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Penny S Schroeder, Sep 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Penny S Schroeder

Penny S Schroeder Thread Starter

I had two operating systems on boot up and had to select one. I followed the suggestion of a previous post reply and inadvertently deleted the working one! I previously had XP Home and XP Pro, so it was easy to choose the right one. Now I had 2 XP Homes listed.

Anyway, I was preparing the computer for sale and deleting personal stuff and trying to overwrite the HD, so I don't care about any programs lost or anything. How do I get past this point with a Windows XP install CD?

Thanks. :rolleyes:

2. Antman450

Antman450

You can run teh install cd to start the installtion process. Once it gets to the part where it asks you where you want to install it, highlight the partition and press "D" then follow the directions to delete the partition. After that, press "C" to create a new one and choose to install it to the new partition. XP setup will format the partition and all tehinformation fromt eh old partition will be completely deleted.

3. Penny S Schroeder

Thank you for your reply. When I insert the CD and turn on the power, alll I get it "Operating system not found,' not like I had before and what you suggest about selecting where to put it.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You will need to set your bios to boot from cd as first boot device. The reason it says os not found is that the boot order is probably A, C, CDROM.
    You will need to change this to CDROM as first boot device. On most computers you will hit the delete key on bootup to enter the bios. Some computers use F10, F1, etc. There may be a section of your bios called "Boot" or it may be under something like advanced chipset options. Check your manual for info on the bios.

After you have the bios set to boot from the cd, restart with the xp cd in the drive and follow the directions in the post above.

5. Penny S Schroeder

OK, looking good now! Thanks. I actually thought I had done that, but guess I just disabled the hard drive boot w/o putting the CD drive 1st. Appreciate your assistance.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No problem; post back if you need more help.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!