1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

operating system not found!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sugerspunsister, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sugerspunsister

sugerspunsister Thread Starter

Hey guys, have in the past couple of days started having a problem with my sony viao laptop. The whole thing will freeze up and i will have to turn off at switch to reboot. A couple of times i have had to do this i have had the message "operating system not found" and then nothing. This has got me seriously worried as its happening more and more often. Any help would be great.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Start by running chkdsk /f on the drive. Chkdsk /r would be even better since it will search the drive for bad sectors (time-consuming). Keep track of any error messages and the results of the scan.

If you do the chkdsk from the XP CD after booting to the Recovery Console, the results are easy to read. But if you do it on reboot from within Windows, be ready to hit your Pause key so you can view the results before they vanish.

What kind of drive is it? You can get diagnostic software from the manufacturer.

3. dez_666

dez_666

Yes please do what Elvandil said and run a chkdsk /r to try to fix bad sectors on your hard drive. also, giving a model of your laptop might help.

4. sugerspunsister

Hey guys, thanks for the help its much apprecaited but i am a bit of a novice, can you take me through this, dont have a clue what chk disc is, sorry.

5. bigbear

bigbear

Go to start>run and type chkdsk / r

6. sugerspunsister

OK thanks bear, did that and the black command box flashes up for a nano second then disapears and i get nothing.

7. dez_666

dez_666

try typing CMD in the run box and typing chkdsk /r in that box. see if it gives you an error and tell us what it is..

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Answer "Y" to checking on reboot and reboot. Chkdsk can't repair anything while Windows is running.

9. sugerspunsister

ok got their in the end. I ran check disk but didnt right down the error mess, it said somthing along the lines of "windows has repaired the clusters" then it gave me a file number. Im sorry guys, but is their any way of retriving this information?

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Not necessary if check disk ran...

11. sugerspunsister

Ok cool, so you think its sorted then?.

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

Did you run the check after a reboot? Only you can tell if the problem is solved, so try it out and let us know.

13. sugerspunsister

Yeah ran the check after reboot. OK thanks for all the help guys, will let you no if things go wrong but so far its looking a lot better:)

14. dez_666

dez_666

If everything works and checks out ok, mark the thread solved using the thread tools menu (y)

15. sugerspunsister

Ok things were ok for a couple of days but the problem seems to have returned, computer is freeszing up again, havnt had the operating system not found message yet when i turn it off:confused:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597020

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice