1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Operating System Not Found

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 737chris, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 737chris

737chris Thread Starter

I have a 1999 Compaq Presario 1278 notebook cpu. I stoped using it about two years ago. I don't remember what I was trying to do, but I remember inserting a floppy, then when ever I tried to start up the cpu the screen turned black and I got the message "Invalid System Disk. Replace disk then press any key." I recently attempted to start the cpu and got the same message. I found my way into the BIOS system and change some configurations around and was able to get a black screen saying "Operating System not found." I reset the defaults in the BIOS Setup Utility only to be returned to the original message, "Invalid System Disk. Replace disk then press any key." I contacted HP tech support through chat online and after going through all of their checks they informed me that I would need to purchase a retail version of an operating system such as Windows XP. Ok so I bought Windows XP, inserted it into my notebook, nothing changed. I chatted with HP tech support again who informed me now that it was a hard drive malfunction and that I would need to purchase a new hard drive. So I did. I have inserted the new hard drive correctly. The notebook now starts up and goes to a black screen and shows "Operating System Not Found." I contacted HP tech support again, this time the tech asked me to tell him if the light for the cd-rom drive was on. I explained to him that this model doesn't have a led indicator for the cd-rom. The tech then informed me that because Windows 98 was orginally on the notebook I will not be able to put Windows XP on the notebook and because the notebook is not reading my cd's (neither Windos XP nor the Emergency Restore Disk) I need to replace the cd-rom drive. ant this rate I will have spent as much money as buying a new laptop. Can someone aid me? It seems HP tech support is only suggesting that I spend money on something to get me off of the telephone or end my chat session without really trouble shooting the problem.

2. muppy03

muppy03

First Name:
    Chris
    OK firstly, you did take the floppy out again :)

Now you have cd of xp? is that correct. and you want a fresh install? You have nothing you need to save on the laptop?
    You know where bios is? change the boot order so that the comp boots from the cd first, insert cd and restart computer. If cd drive works it should bring you to windows set up.3

REMEMBER clean install will wipe any and all documents etc on the laptop

3. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

4. 737chris

737chris Thread Starter

the battery seems to be fine. I changed the boot order and inserted the XP cd. still received the same message "Operating System not found."

5. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

in the bios is the correct date and time showing...in the bios did you scan for the hdd to show correct values.. is the xp setup on a cd or dvd disk? If on dvd it won't boot either.
    which hdd do you have in the lappie the old or new hdd.

if old then try writting a new mbr use win 98 boot disk run to A: the type fdisk /mbr press enter..note space after after fdisk..

before you try to install xp go to the site and download last bios update and any drivers available for xp..i doubt there will be any.. but you never know...

recheck the cdrom drive in the bios is correct

recheck first boot order is cdrom it may have changed again

6. muppy03

muppy03

First Name:
    Chris
    You did actually reboot once you changed the boot order?

7. 737chris

737chris Thread Starter

i tried all of the suggestions to no avail

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753086

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice