1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

operating system not found

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Razman1983, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Razman1983

Razman1983 Thread Starter

So on my dell laptop (which is only a year old) when i go to start it it starts beeping and then a min later it goes to a screen saying Operating system not found. I'm told the beeping means the HD is about to fail; however, this same problem occurred with the same laptop back in november and after a few hours i started it and it just started and never gave a problem again up until today. My laptop sat in my bag in my car all day and it was pretty hot..dont know if that has anything to do with it.

Anyways I went into BIOS and it cannot detect any HDD..what should I do?

It's win xp..I don't have the original CD anymore for that laptop or the one im on now.

edit: damn it, it's windows vista on the dell laptop ..sorry not win xp.

2nd edit: i just restarted it now after the 20th time and it worked.....what's going on?!??! should i do anything?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Firstly, now you know its is Vista, pls repost in Vista forum.
    Before you do and as you are here anyway, open My computer, right click the HDD, click Properties and then the Tools Tab and then error checking. Check for bad sectors.
    Also see this, I would check that the HDD has not become insecure, usually a simple two or three scres on the base of the laptop and the drive is underneath the cover. Have a look at the Owners manual if you have it, or go to the Dell site and put your service tag number in and then you can look at the manual - online.

Drive register in BIOS? Does the laptop BIOS see that a hard drive is installed and correctly identify it? If the BIOS doesn't register the hard drive, either the hard drive has failed, the connector has failed or come undone, or you have a board level problem. Do not even consider upgrading the BIOS if the hard drive doesn't show up unless it's a replacement drive and the previous hard drive did register, but is being replaced because it was too small, error prone or noisy. The original hard drive should always be recognized by the existing BIOS if the hardware is in operating condition and the connector hasn't come undone. If reseating the hard drive fixes the problem, make sure that it isn't missing a hold down screw.

If neither work pls repost as mentioned.

3. Bernardo

Bernardo

Not a good idea to suggest reposting. Use the report button and ask to be moved instead.

4. Macboatmaster

Sorry thks for putting me right.
    Am I now being slow, him or me pls.

5. Razman1983

Razman1983 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I have reported it and asked for it to be moved to vista.

As for the drive being dislodged or something..I think that may be the case; however, I've never opened this particular laptop before so it probably just came loose on its own or something. Also i have warranty on this and removing the screws would break the warranty I think since there is a seal ..im not 100% sure though. Anyways I've backed up all my stuff in case it goes crazy again but I really think it's just loose.

Im checking now for bad sectors.

6. Bernardo

Bernardo

If you have a warranty.....use it. Don't go any further. I seriously don't think the operating system matters in this case ;)

7. tech_mark

tech_mark

Shut your laptop down completely. Remove external devices like printer zip drives etc that is connected. Press the power button and hold it down for 5 secs. It will shut down. Remove the battery and then reseat the HDD and then check again.

8. Macboatmaster

Take the advice from Bernardo, which would also have been mine. Warrantry. DO NOT OPEN ANYTHING on the case.
    Tech_mark. It is UNDER warrantry.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916956

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice