1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Operating system was not found"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by babyshamble, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. babyshamble

babyshamble Thread Starter

Ok, so i dropped my laptop a few days ago and the screen went black and wouldn't turn on. So i sent it to a pc repair fella near where i live and he told me there were two issues, one involving the power and the other was to do with something inside.

So we got it back a few hours and ago but there is no operating system. It had xp built in but now it's gone. The packard bell sign came up but after that the message is get is "Operating system was not found".

Has the repair man fiddled me about? i really don't wanna fork out £150 or so to get xp back.

By the way, the xp prudcut key is on the underside of the latop if that makes any difference.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its possible the hard drive has come loose or was damaged by being dropped. Have you called the tech guy to ask if he had any troubles with it? Or if he fixed the problem with the 'something inside' problem? A bad hard drive may be that issue that he found.

3. babyshamble

babyshamble Thread Starter

He said it had something do with corrupted files seeing as it was dropped and so he had to wipe it. What he didn't ask me was if i the operating system was built in, which it was, so he wiped it thinking we had a disk ready to reinstall it.

Either way, did he have to wipe windows to fix the problem? because i just phoned explaining these details and he seemed clueless about what to do next; said something about reverting it back. And is there any way to get windows back without spending more money?

thanks for the help.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Unfortunately, you were taken. I don't know if Packard Bell is around or not that you could even get recovery disks. You may have to buy a license for Windows and then reinstall it yourself. I certainly wouldn't take the computer back to the quack who wiped the drive and dumped it on you.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

What model? It's a long shot, but maybe he didn't wipe the recovery partition (or even know about it from the sound of the guy). Maybe he missed it.

With some PB's, it's a tap on F11 during boot.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650225

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice