1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OPINION: Best free (not trial) program for cleaning up hard drive/gaining disk space?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by HUBIE, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HUBIE

HUBIE Thread Starter

Okey Dokey so the computer is running a wee bit slow, and one of the things I have been meaning to do anyway was a defrag and run a program to clean up the darn thing.

I am seeking opinions on a good program that does just that, and also gains/creates the most space on the HD.

Any suggestions?

Thank you to all who help on these forums also.(y)

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Disk Cleanup is the safest. Many apps and the OS use the temp folder for logs or other intermediate objects that should not be deleted. Disk Cleanup only deletes those temp items that have not been used for a while.

I certainly would not pay any money for any cleanup programs. There are 100's of them and the pay ones are no better.

3. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

Usually, used disk space is not the reason for a slow computer, too many processes loading at startup or insufficient RAM are probably to blame.

4. grouse

grouse

DownLoad EasyCleaner http://www.majorgeeks.com/download414.html

Use the clear files and Unnecessary files buttons – I do not recommend
    using the Duplicates files button
    as many dupes are there on purpose.

Not all files will delete – that is normal.

In the unnecessary button I check the top 4 entries

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Actually the real best is the restore, recovery or install software for the operating system that you have is best. After a backup of all of the important data from your computer a clean install of your operating system using the aforementioned disk(s) is the best way.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

I don't recommend running EasyCleaner's registry cleaner, either, for reasons so often stated in this forum: Registry Cleaners are dangerous and perform no useful function.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650300

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice