1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

opinion of Westell 327W?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gurutech, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

I'm having problems with my 327W, and Verizon has been (to say it nicely) a PITA in getting my issue resolved.

What's happening is that if I download a large file (example - the Blackberry Desktop Software), from anywhere, I start getting buffer overflows, which shut down my entire WAN connection (from my LAN to Verizon ISP.) I am forced several times during the day to cycle the power on both my Westell 327W and my Netgear VPN/Firewall.

I have the Westell set up in "bridge mode", so my firewall gets the external IP address, and then assigns an IP to my wireless router. I have a server that assigns IP addresses on my LAN.

Whenever I have this problem, I only lose internet access. I can still access all resources on my LAN. After cycling power on the Westell and Netgear, all is good, until the next time.

I've called Verizon tech support several times, and they keep telling me that there's nothing wrong with the DSL modem (Westell), and nothing wrong on their end. I've called Netgear tech support, and they tell me to hard-reset the firewall and upgrade the firmware. I did this already, before even calling them. Still no help.

The only thing I can think of is the MTU size. I know the max is 1500, and that has to be lowered by 8 to allow for the PPPoA header. I have configured the Westell to do this, as well as the firewall. Am I mistaken in doing this, and should I set it back to 1500???

Please let me know! I'm tired of cycling power!!!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

A smaller than optimum MTU size would not cause this issue, it would just make transfers slightly slower.

I'd try to narrow this down, does it recover when you cycle power on just one of the devices, try the 327W only, if that doesn't do it, try the Netgear only.

3. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

No, cycling power on one or the other (not both) doesn't clear the error. I have to cycle power on both devices...

4. JohnWill

I'd connect directly to the 327W and see if the problem still occurs.

5. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

Tried that already, it doesn't happen as often, but it still happens. I've tried to get Verizon to replace it, but they will only sell me a new one. I can't upgrade the firmware because it's too old and the Westell site doesn't have a new firmware for my DSL modem.

I've been bugging the he!! out of Verizon to get Fios in my development, but they're taking their sweet a$$ time...

6. JohnWill

Well, if it happens with the direct connection, that would seem to vindicate your router. Short of replacing that 327W, I'm out of ideas.

What's the ETA for FiOS for you? Have they already laid the orange conduit around your neighborhood?

7. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

The development behind me already has FIOS, but I haven't seen the trucks in my development yet. No ETA, been signed up to get the email notice, but haven't gotten that either....

8. JohnWill

FWIW, I didn't get any notice when Comcast came to our neighborhood or when FiOS was available, even though I had signed up for both. I had to call and ask.

OTOH, you'll know when FiOS is available if you have buried utilities in your neighborhood, because they'll be running the conduit for weeks before the service is available.

If it's overhead utilities, you'll see some black junction boxes with a few rubber nipples on one end for individual fiber connections spaced out every few houses on the poles.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752146

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice