1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Opinion on Maxtor

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by bizziebill, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bizziebill

bizziebill Thread Starter

Had a private conversation with another member and his experience with Maxtor.
    I've been using Maxtor for 12 yrs or better, never had a problem with them.
    Used WD before, died after 6 months. A couple more after that, so I made the switch to Maxtor.
    He has his negitive thoughts, which he's a right to voice. Has his positive thoughts about what he has confidence in.
    To me its like Ford or Chevy, you find the one that drives right and doesn't blow a head gasket or something and go for it.
    Hope to get some feed back on this.

2. Crusnik

Crusnik

I've had two Maxtors die and one that was DOA =/

3. smeegle

smeegle

My Maxtor has been working ever since I bought it in September 2005. Hopefully thats a good sign.

4. Stoner

Stoner Banned

I had one out of 5 Maxtors go bad that I purchased new. Maxtor replace it and I've had no other problems.

5. Fidelista

Fidelista

Have had both , Western Digital and Maxtors and experieced only one failure.
    It was 3-4? years in use.
    Never had a problem with any componants being DOA on a shipped PC, guess I am just lucky.
    Now dial-up modems --another subject!.
    I had terrible experiece with U.S. Robotics. Bought several that never worked from start.
    I have replaced many on other peoples machines {Lightening in Florida } and switched to Creative---never a problem.
    Would never purchase one {U.S.Robotics} in future., but then most are going to broadband anyway. >f

6. Crusnik

Crusnik

You're lucky! I've had DOA RAM too. Anything I've gotten DOA has been replaced... But it's just a hassle and all =/.

7. Fidelista

Fidelista

Yes, apparently I am lucky!. Truth is , I haven't purchased enough HD's to offer an opinion --only a couple purchased seperately from a system.
    All Ram , video cards , power supply , ect, that I have purchased worked from box --the modems being an exception . :)
    What I am curious about is new 10,000 rpm HD's ?.
    Wonder how they will hold up considering the increased mechanical stress? .
    PC's are already being shipped with them , but I have not heard anything yet, >f

8. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Honda!

Seriously though... I was the anti-Maxtor guy and I'll bear it out here.

First choice is Seagate, great in every way as far as I've seen, take any other drive and put it in the middle, and Maxtor I won't touch. Maybe in a year or two I'll try again once Seagate has had more time to hopefully iron out Maxtor's techniques. ;)

9. dr911

dr911

I have a "Western Digital" (HD) ever since I built my first PC...back in 1998. No trouble (dr911 crosses fingers) with it what-so-ever !! I'm going to install a 200GB "Maxtor" as a "slave" HD into the same system. I have 98SE right now. I'm going to partition the "Maxtor" HD into 4-partitions. 1 for XP-pro, 2 for 98SE, 3 for Linux (Ubuntu) and the last partition for extra storage.

Wish me luck (y) (y)

10. bizziebill

bizziebill Thread Starter

My most recent is a Maxtor 300GB/ SATA/150, 16mb buffer/ 7200rpm. I installed it in a new system I built about a week ago. So far its working great just like the rest of my Maxtor have, so guess I'll stick with it.

11. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Thought of you guys last night, had a system come over (I fix mostly as a hobby out of the home) last night. a 120GB Maxtor Diamond Max9 Sata 150 and a Samsung 80GB IDE with a 200GB Western Digital SCSI drive.

The WD shouldn't have been in the system first of all, there are no SCSI slots on this guys motherboard, so we pulled that first.

The reason the system came in was it wouldn't POST, so we brought it to RAM, Graphics, CPU.POSTed

Add Floppy, POSTed.
    Added DVD Roms, POSTed.

Maxtor as Master, locked. (SATA is always a Master)

Samsung as Master, booted.

Samsung Master, Maxtor too, BSODs and complete hangs at boot. No BSOD twice and it hung at POST more often then we got a BSOD.

Pulled the Maxtor and everything ran great. The Samsung is supposedly 4 or 5 years old and its ticking. All I can say is I wasn't surprised when the Maxtor turned out to be the problem.

12. escalader

escalader

This is post from another forum with a very long and technical discussion on HDD reliability.

The heavy weights seem to be

Seagate
    Western Digital
    Maxtor

"You might want to head over to: http://www.storagereview.com

They have a pretty large reliability survey database.
    "20583 readers have entered results for their experiences with a total of 44871 drives."

13. rolandk10

rolandk10

I was in a postion a couple years back of administering a network with about 400 pc's. Through the years there, I had many hard drives fail. Since the boxes were aquired over many years from many vendors, I had just about every make of common hard drive there is. I can honestly say that I never saw any strong bias from one brand to another to fail. They all did once in a while. No make has a 100% reliability. My one piece of advice from my expierence, if you ever need to RMA a drive, don't run any of their diagnostic software or play along with their techs. Tell everyone along the way that the drive is dead. I remember the one time I decided to play along. I had a maxtor that started to sound lke a harley. After 1 hour of running their diagnostic program, the results said the drive was in perfect condition. I called back, told them the drive was dead, had an RMA in 10 seconds. Of course now days, you can get your RMA online...much easier.

14. bp936

bp936

What is RMA? sorry, I am still learning/
    And I have 2 Maxtors for maybe 3 years, externals, haven't had any problems with them

15. rolandk10

rolandk10

Sorry, I should know better. Even I don't know what half the anagrams I see mean.

RMA = Return Material Authorization. It's a number that must accompany your defective hardware when you send it back to the manufacturer. Usually provided to you by the technician on the phone or from the website.

Different companies may have different names for this number but all the hardware I ever needed to exchange required one.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542428

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice