1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Opinions about Open Office ?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by TOGG, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TOGG

TOGG Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I'm sure I'll be moved if it's not!!

I have a version of Open Office (1.0.1) on CD and I'm wondering if anyone else has tried it and, if so, what good or bad points they found?.

I have an old version of MS Office/Word 97 which is no longer supported and occasionally get problems when printing. Unless there are serious drawbacks to using it, I want to switch to the open source alternative.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

2. trevor1

trevor1

well, i use both,if both of the products were open-source iwud have to choose M$ office,but since not i would have to go with openoffice but in qaulity and options ect ms office is superior

3. E-Quality

E-Quality

Openoffice.org works like a champ .. drawback is that it is slow ....... not sure if it has anything to do with my tiny ram .. 96Mb

4. TOGG

TOGG Thread Starter

Trevor & E-Quality,

Thanks for the input.

This is an old, slow computer (like its owner) but I have room on my HDD so I might as well install and 'suck it and see'!

5. trevor1

trevor1

Go For It

6. KHAYMAN

KHAYMAN

Hi guys,

i got open office with Redhat 8.00, seems pretty OK to me, with the added bonus of being free!

It is still under development though, so we should see some improvements and bug fixes on there way soon.

regards
    Khayman:cool:

7. lynch

lynch

I've had StarOffice and OpenOffice take over my computer a few times.;) I'm not all that crazy about having a 100+MB program suite just to have a word processor:I dont use any of the other things it offers.
    I use AbiWord because it works with word docs and it's small( 2+MB).
    lynch

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118073

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice