1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Opinions on BeyondMicro External Hard Drive?-or recommendations on External Case?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mulderator, Jul 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mulderator

Mulderator Thread Starter

2. winbob

winbob

I took another route for my externals, I bought an enclosure and then a HD. It's a lot cheaper and you have a wider choice of capacities for your needs.

I looked in particular for enclosures that are well ventilated or had a built in fan.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

4. Mulderator

That's a good deal, but per Gigabyte, this one beats it--160 Gig for $49.99 after rebate! ;)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1422521

I like the external case idea. Hell, i could buy two 160 Gigs and an external case for the price of the external drive! :)

5. Mulderator

Yes, but I don't really need the ventilation because I am going to use the second drive simply as a backup drive that I backup all my videos and then store it off site--not running. So it will only run about once every 6 months (when I make another backup).

6. Mulderator

Any recommendations on externals? I guess I should get the cheapest one since I am only using for off-site backup of video files. ;)

BTW--those enclosures are also cheaper on Tiger Direct.

7. Mulderator

After checking out Tom's Hardware, it got me thinking about speed. The main purpose of this drive is going to be to backup between 100 to 200 Gigs of media files. I'm only doing it one every six months or so, so speed is not that big of a deal, but obviously, if the price is the same or not significantly higher, a higher data transfer would be nice. I have some extra PCI slots, so adding a couple more IDE cables is not a problem. I also have Firewire ports and USB 2.0 ports.

Ideas?

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Mulder, while the cases may appear cheaper on Tiger, check after you add their inflated shipping to the price. :D

9. Mulderator

I guess its basic math--add the shipping and price and see which total is less! :D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!