1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Opinions on this board/CPU...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mortimas IV, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mortimas IV

Mortimas IV Thread Starter

Asus P5B Intel Socket 775 ATX Motherboard with the Core 2 Duo E6600.

If not this board, could I get some suggestions? I'm fairly set upon the E6600, unless someone can convince me that the 6300 or 6400 would be comparable.

Also, what should I look at as far as heat sinks are concerned? I've never built a compy before, and don't know exactly how much I should expect to drop on cooling.

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

Those are excellent choices.

I use an E6300 in two of my machines and have never been disappointed. The 6300 and 6600 are the sweet spot in dollars per horsepower, so either of those should be fine. The upgrade to the 6600 with the faster clock speed and bigger L2 cache is worth the money, however. It's a choice you just have to make.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That board should be fine, however I would buy it from newegg rather than tiger. 1 it is cheaper, 2 tiger usually charges more for shipping and 3 if there is a problem the egg is a much better company to deal with than td.

Next the cpu will come with a hsf unless you buy an oem cpu. The stock hsf is fine as long as you are careful doing the install. The socket 775s can be a pain to install the hsf so be careful and watch what you are doing. Read the instructions on intel's site.

One other thing the 965 chipset boards are picky about ram. Make sure the ram you install is on the qvl or approved list at asus. Installing unapproved ram is asking for problems.

4. Mortimas IV

Mortimas IV Thread Starter

Thankee.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537609

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice