1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Opinions on TV service

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by deh, Sep 14, 2004.

?

What kind of TV service do you have?

1. Cable (standard)

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Cable (digital)

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Satellite

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. Antennae

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Advertisement
  1. deh

deh Thread Starter

Anyone have any experiences with Satellite TV (I.e. The Dish, more specifically Direct TV)?
    I am thinking about changing from cable to Direct TV.

I know someone who has Direct TV and he is happy with it. Claims outages are minimal and quality is good. Says the secret is getting it set up correctly in the first place because it is line of sight.

2. izme

izme

Deh, I installed it on my parents house easily, Your right it has to line up on the horizon, It's usually low on the S.E. horizon from here anyways and degree of angle is right on the arm of the sattelite dish. You put a compass on the recieving unit that comes out from the middle of the dish and dial it in to the right position in your hand book, leave the sattelite adjustment angles slightly loose until someone is down below to check signal strength, just alittle movement at a time will do when you get it close, than tighten it. It does not have to be 100 %, I dialed my parents in and after 4 years it is still dead on. Make sure you put caulking in the holes prior to bolting the Sattelite to your roof or siding. and tighten it good, check it once a year. They have had very minimal problems and love Direct TV

go for it! It's easy to install and I can do it for a living now if I chose to. :D

3. izme

izme

Your Direct T.V. package will have a small Compass to use on the Recieving arm of the dish

Attached Files:

4. deh

deh Thread Starter

Thanks for the info izme.

Yeah my brother did the self install. Direct TV is actually offering a free install right now so they will send a tech out to do it.

So what do your parents think of the service? Is the reception always good? etc

I only ask because I hear different input from this. One person lived in a pretty wooded area and every time the wind blew or it rained it would break up.
    Whereas I was told he didn't have the dish high enough and it needed to be above all of the trees to ensure good reception all the time.

5. dai

dai

6. izme

izme

you bet Deh! ;)

They absolutely love it! No real problems! They thought that even a rain storm would mess it up and it doesn't for the most part. Very little problems and well worth it to hook it up. And no price hikes almost every time you get a bill. One of the down sides was local news stations, but they now have that too! I highly recommend that anyone gets direct TV. I have digital cable but would go to Sattelite quickly if I owned this house. So all in all my parents give it a high rating and love it! If you get an installer, they use fancy electronics to dial the dish in. Just make sure there is no hidden cost's

7. deh

deh Thread Starter

Thanks,
    One more question that kind of concerns me.
    With cable if say my cable "goes down" I call my cable company and they have to fix the problem (that is as long as I can prove it is not any wiring in my home).
    With direct TV I technically own the equipment even though they initially supply you the equipment for free. Correct? So if this is the case and say the Dish or boxes get damaged I would then have to take money out of my pocket to replace the dish or boxes.
    Right?

8. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    Love my satellite system. Would never go back to cable. The only time I lose the signal is when a bad storm is passing and that never last long.

9. izme

izme

well that's where it gets tricky and depends on your contract but most likely you would have to pay for it. My folks have had almost no problems, if they do lose the signal it is always at Direct TVs end and fixed shortly. You can dial (line it up) your own sattelite in any time but make sure it is not a problem at Direct TV first and I recommend that you install it to understand it better or at least watch the installer close and get tips. My Dad found an add in the paper for a slightly used reciever and dish in the classifieds and paid a fraction of what it was worth as a back up. So they are happy either way.

10. lisaa7002

lisaa7002

OHHHH!!! No--- Get Dish network. A lot better channel selection for about the same price. You can usually get a good deal at instalation or free installation. Usually if you sign up a friend they get free instalation, if you want I can check. WE get 8 of the movie channeles in our package (The Movie Channel-W, The Movie Chanel extra-W, Encore W, Action, Westeren, Mystery, True Stories, & The Love Movies Channel) (they are NOT included in any package with Direct tv - except the premium movie packages) It's called "Americas top 180" (Direct tv's big package is 130 I think !) and costs $47 a month. We haven't had any problems except weather related. I had checked into Direct Tv becuse I only got 1 room when we installed, but the # of channels you get is so much better I won't switch!

Like I said, if you want me to give them your name to see if you could get free installation feel free to IM me! Hope you didn't call Direct tv yet!!! lol Lisa

11. shadowcat

shadowcat

I like Directv and don't have much of a problem with it except in bad weather, as mentioned before. My fiance particularly likes the sports packages they offer -- he's a huge football fan, both NFL and college. They have one for baseball and hockey, too.

12. Toddles18

Toddles18

I had direct tv when I lived with my parents. As was said before the only time we lost service was when there were really hard rain storms, or the mini dish filled with snow. I liked the guide on direct tv a lot better than the guide I have with digital cable now. We are actually considering switching to direct tv so we can get the nfl season ticket.

13. valley

valley

we have DishNetwork here since they dont run cable out this far. But for the first 10 years we lived here, we just used an antennae! We got 3 channels. :D

Satellite dishes are nice but there is one drawback...the weather, like Todd said. Every time it rains really hard, we lose the signal. If we get an ice storm, we lose the signal and Carl has to go out and knock the ice of from the dish (this doesnt happen very often though) Same thing with the snow. In the middle of a blizzard, we lose the signal. But when you cant get cable, its awesome! We pay 24.95 a month for the top 40 channels. We dont have any movie packages, which cost an extra 10 bucks a month (not worth it to us, who rarely watch movies) We also pay an extra 5 bucks to get the major networks and another buck-fifty for the hunting channel per month.

:)

14. Mulderator

Mulderator

Isn't that all you watch anyway? Disney, Cartoon Network, and the Playboy Channel (after the kids go to bed)! :eek:

15. combsdon

combsdon

.....have had the dish about six years (setup myself) and have lost the signal only twice................. (y)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273864

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice