1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Opinions please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sanoka, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sanoka

Sanoka Thread Starter

Hi everyone, me again, I think that I will have alot of ?'s in the near future.:D

Today I would like to know what is the bare minimum system to run winxp pro, office 2007, adobe reader & photoshop. There will also be more software but these are needed.

All advice/opinions welcome

Thank you

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Do you have a budget in mind? Do you want to build or buy?

3. headscan69

headscan69

Hi,
    Straight from Microsoft for Win XP Prof:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/sysreqs.mspx

Here's What You Need to Use Windows XP Professional
    •PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

• 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

• 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

• Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

• CD-ROM or DVD drive

• Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

This would be bare minimum. Most PC bundles (case, monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc) now a days come with all this and more. With what you described to run, the memory part should be at least 1 GB if not 2 GB, video card should be at least a AGP (8X) card if not a PCI-Express for video quality and cpu should be above 3 GHz.

4. Sanoka

Sanoka Thread Starter

No budget yet, just interested to know what the bare minimum is. I am dealing with the fallout from previous worker and need to some good info. I am taking over the job but my experience is limited. I have a good idea that what has been build is very inferior but really need this confirmed.

What I have is:
    2 gig processor
    intel 4 mobo
    256 ram
    and onboard video and audio
    300w psu and 1 fan

Thanks for you help

5. Sanoka

Sanoka Thread Starter

THanks Headscan69. This pretty much confirms that what we received is very inferior and now looking at upgrades....what a mess.

6. brite750

brite750

this should be fine, i would up the ram to 512, i think you mean 2ghz processor, not 2 gig, intel Pentium 4

7. Sanoka

Sanoka Thread Starter

Thanks Brite 750, that is what I meant.

These systems are working but are getting "not enough memory" msgs when running multiple apps. This is in an office environment and the systems are 4 mths old.

8. brite750

brite750

yeah some of my engineers have like 25-30 tabs open then wonder why they run low on mem. 512 is min, 1gig wouldnt hurt.

9. Sanoka

Sanoka Thread Starter

Yes, but mine are only running a couple of apps and maybe an IE window or 2. My kids have more on their play pc than these have.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591969

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice