opinions sought

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jiml8

I am working on a completely revamped website. Here is where the new site is located:

http://www.softwareforlandlords.com/newsite

You will notice a row of red link buttons on the page that opens. Please click on the one named "Our Versions" (which I will soon rename to "Products") and notice the new line of command buttons that opens with the new page. Now click on the one named "Screenshots" (none of the others have files behind them) and watch what happens.

Question for the peanut gallery: too much? Should I change colors in the background, or in the unselected buttons in the previous rows? How does this look? Is it obvious that you are drilling down?

Any other comments? At this point, I am listening to any opinions, but my major focus is clarity of presentation (of course) and ease of navigation. Does this work?

Hello

Personal opinions, I dont like the way the nav bars tile. I agree that it seems to dig down, but I also think its far cleaner to make dropdowns (example of what I mean here,
http://udm4.brothercake.com/demos/style-red.php )
or to replace the existing bar and place small text like
You are here: Page1 | Page2 | Page3 then perhaps the active bar below that.

Also, personally again, I am not a big fan of different size font or boxes on hover, they make the page look very messy, and most visitors think that somethings wrong with it because of the reformation of the normally uniform boxes. Perhaps changing text color, or even box colors or fading those clicked would look better?

Hope my two cents are not too obtrusive, as I say their my personal opinions.

jiml8

LOL!

I am setting things up this way - at least, I am evaluating using such a setup (can always change the php easily enough) because I HATE mouseover menus that are found on the ordinary random website. I understand the utility in an application that is on my desktop, which I use all the time and with which I am familiar, but when I hit a strange site and have to mouse around to figure out where to go/what to do, I get annoyed. Also, on some of those sites the menus don't work because of my security settings.

But that is just me, and that is part of the reason I am asking for opinions.

Now, I am working on that tendency of the buttons to change size on mouseover; it doesn't happen in Linux Mozilla where I set this up originally, but it does on IE and I don't like it either. It is supposed to look depressed, not shrunken.

Also, the tiling of the navbars is something that I am - at this point - specifically not controlling. It is what it is, based on the number of items and the requirement that they be centered. Their appearance in this kind of mode is certainly something I am looking at and deciding whether or not to force alignment along with centering. Or to go with some other scheme altogether.

Thanks for the comments.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online