1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Opinions?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LVance, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LVance

LVance Thread Starter

That's really all I'll be able to afford. I have three pretty big size monitors (no LCD though), so I guess there isn't a real reason to purchase another, but looking at that list - is this a good price? Can I do better? All I'm looking to do is Video Editing and Gaming [Battlefield, Battlefront, City of Heroes, etc..]. How will it hold up?

Let me know. I'm using IBuyPower to configure the Gaming FX pc with free ground shipping.

2. shadowcat

shadowcat

I think you'll get more bang for your buck if you get the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB video card -- it's only a few dollars (about $5) more than the one you chose.

Knock off the CD/DVD drive and just have one optical drive: 8X DVD+R/+RW + CD-R/RW Drive. I believe the total comes out to $868.00 without shipping. (Unless you want the second optical drive -- I was just trying to save you some money.)

I don't like the "standard power supply" option. No name power supplies are unreliable and can cause you more money if it shorts and damages your system. I personally use Antec or Enermax.

The system (to me) looks generally OK, but I do not play those particular games or do video editing.

I'm going to ask that this be moved to hardware so more people will see it.

3. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I believe you could build it yourself much cheaper than going through Ibuypower.com

Check www.bensbargains.net , www.morestuff4less.com , www.dealzconnection.com and www.dealnews.com to look for the components at the best price. Officemax still has a DVD-RW for $9 after rebate, and I know I saw a ATI 9800 pro 128mb for $129 just recently.

Also, dump the cheapo speakers. Get Logitech speakers.

The generic ram from Ibuypower won't overclock at all and barely runs at rated speed, get name brand..

Drop the extra NIC card. Use the onboard.

Do you really need this > 6-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer Black
    Good photoprinters come with media readers, I've never even used mine for reading the cards.. IMO It's a waste of money.

Forgot to mention, the heatsink that comes with that system is the AMD OEM one stuck on with thermal pad. It's loud and not very efficient, may overheat playing games. Plan on at least replacing the pad with artic silver 5.

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I can go through this tomarrow and give my recommendations if you can wait till then.. I'm going to bed.. Have a good night.

5. LVance

LVance Thread Starter

Not really looking to build it from scratch myself, but if you could - using IBP, help me select what I need/don't need and whats best for around that price. That'd be great.

6. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Let's see. The CPU/Case and motherboard are fine.. I'm going to go back on my words a bit and say the generic memory is fine if your not going to OC it.

The boards got SATA, so let's use it.. Choose the Seagate 80 GB 7200 RPM SATA-150 8MB Cache Hard Drive for $7 more, it's well worth it..

Drop the ATI Radeon 9600-XT 256MB w/DVI + TV Out 8x AGP Video and instead get the 9800 Pro EZ 128mb. The only difference in the EZ cards is a slightly slower memory speed. Expect it to be overclockable to right at the regular Pro version speed.

I would recommend dropping the optical drives entirely. Get the $9 AR DVD burner from OM.. Or either use a old CD-rom till another less than $40 deal comes out for a DVD burner. You may not put together the PC, but there's really no work to adding in a burner.

Drop the cheap speakers, their not even worth $4.
    Drop the LCD temp display, it's not needed, use motherboard monitor instead.
    Drop the card reader, it's a waste..
    You might even drop the floppy, I haven't used one in at least 2 years..

Here's what I came up with:

Case ( Raidmax Scorpio-868 ATX Mid-Tower Case w/420W Power Supply Black )

Power Supply ( Standard Case Power Supply ) Pretty stable..

Processor ( AMD® Athlon-64 3000+ CPU w/ Hyper Transport Technology )

Processor Cooling ( Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink )

Motherboard ( Abit KV8 Pro Via-K8T800 Pro Chipset w/5.1 Sound, LAN, USB 2.0 8x AGP Motherboard )

Memory ( 512MB DDR-400 PC3200 Memory Module Geil or Major Brand )

Video Card ( ATI Radeon 9800 PRO EZ 128MB w/DVI + TV Out 8x AGP Video )
    Better than the 9600 xt.

Hard Drive ( 80 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA] Seagate 80 GB 7200 RPM SATA-150 8MB Cache Hard Drive ) Use the SATA!

2nd Hard Drive ( None )

Raid Controller ( None )

Raid Configuration ( None )

CD/DVD Drive ( None )

CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive ( None ) Get one of the cheap rebate deals for a DVD burner

Sound Card ( 3D Wave Stereo Sound Onboard )

Speaker System ( None ) Buy a logitech set from somewhere else. suggest www.bensbargains.net

Fax Modem ( None )

Network Card ( 10/100 Network Onboard )

Floppy Drive ( None ) Unless you absolutely have to have it

Zip Drive ( None )

Monitor ( None )

Keyboard ( Combo: Multi-Media/Internet Keyboard + Optical Internet Mouse Black )

Mouse ( None )

Meter Display ( None ) Pros:looks Cons:worthless

Flash Media Reader/Writer ( None ) Pros:looks Cons:worthless with a photo printer

Case Lighting ( None ) cons:keeps you up at night.

Case Round Cable ( None ) roll and wrap your own

IEEE-1394 Fire Wire Card ( None ) $14 from TechSunny.com, worthless without a firewire camera or external drive.

TV Tuner ( None )

Video Camera ( None )

Power Protection ( None )

Headset ( None )

Printer ( None )

Printer Cable ( None )

Operation System ( MS Windows XP Home Edition )

Warranty ( Warranty Service Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty ) "on-site" is worthless.

Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) No Rush, Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days )

Remember to use the FREEUPS coupon...

Total: $764.00

7. LVance

LVance Thread Starter

A few things...

1. It doesn't allow me to remove the Flash Media Reader/Writer or Meter Display. No option for "None" ... which Configurator were you using?

2. Will that power supply certainly be enough for gaming and video editing?

Thanks alot...

8. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I used the budget 64 configurator on the pop-up page..

I've got the same power supply on one of the ones here. When I got it I expected it to be cruddy like most "included with case" power supplies, but it turned out to be very stable on all the rails. It's also running a 2500+ barton OC'd to 3200+, two 120gig hard drives, a optirite DVD burner, three fans, a case light, a 50CFM 60mm delta on the sink, and a liteon CDRW. No problems at all with it. I believe it will work good for you.

The one problem I do have with the PS is that it only has four drive connectors, one floppy connector, one 4 pin connector, and 1 atx connector, So if you add much, you'll need a molex splitter.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273633

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice