1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Opps! I got a case of Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by pelokwin, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pelokwin

pelokwin Thread Starter

Hello all,
    I have a question that may sound dumb but here goes.
    If you had XP installed on a computer and did not have the disk, then using a down loaded version of Vista put that on you computer, could you go back to XP with out buying a new disk and doing a reinstall? Also if you could would you loose any data?
    For the record I am posting this "q" for a friend who's daughter likes to mess with things. She is having all kinds of problems(I think it is from a bootleg copy of Vista, she thinks Vista is bootleg)
    I told her to just start from scratch.
    Thank you

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Buiy a legal version of XP and install it to a blank drive. All data will be lost.

3. pelokwin

pelokwin Thread Starter

:D YES!!,
    More or less this was to prove my point although I had herd that there was a way to "revert" back to a prior OS with out loosing data, but I think you need the disk
    Thank you for replying

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    If you did a UPGRADE, there is a entry in the Add/Remove programs to uninstall Vista.
    But if you used a torrent copy of Vista, Lord knows what will happen!

5. pelokwin

pelokwin Thread Starter

Just so everyone knows "But if you used a torrent copy of Vista " I did not download, steal or any other non legal thing:cool: I really am posting this for an embarrassed co-worker
    DaveA:
    So what about backing up all important files and the doing the uninstall? most of the files were made on XP Would she be able to access the now that vista is gone?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Any files she wants to keep can certainly be copied to a CD or flash drive before the process begins. But I wouldn't count at all on files being saved during the process, even if all goes well.

7. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I was referring to your statement "then using a down loaded version of Vista ".

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699408

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice