1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Opt in reinstall?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by cheesha, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cheesha

cheesha Thread Starter

I am in a debate with a guy who says that Microsoft "opted in" to his computer and did a complete reinstall of windows vista for him. And, he said, they did it for free. :confused:

How is that possible? During the format or even the system recovery back to factory settings it would have broken their internet connection.

He claims that he had to do nothing...just sit there while they reinstalled everything....yet he acknowledges that things still didn't work right after they got done.

The reason we are debating is that he still has computer problems and I say it is because he needs a reinstall and he says he doesn't since Microsoft already did it.

If I am wrong, I am ok with it. I just want someone objective to explain to me how they could have done this. In addition, he didn't lose any of his original programming and all his personal files remained. sounds more like a system restore to me.

Thank you in advance for any input.....

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Ive never heard of such a thing.the only thing i can think of like that would be remote assistance or remote desktop connection which i think is only found on windows xp.I cant even imagine microsoft even doing something like that and certainly not for free either.Obviously whatever was done and its not working right didnt fix it.It was either a repair or a restore but again it didnt work. Hes going to have to do a complete reinstall by himself or take it somewhere and let a computer place do it.And hes going to need a vista dvd and the correct drivers for his model of computer.

3. bzerph

bzerph

It definitely sounds like more of a system restore rather than a complete reinstall took place. Specially since all documents and programs remained. While there are ways to install an os via the network i highly doubt Microsoft would do this or be able to do this outside a LAN environment. What seems more likely is that he contacted the PC vendor (ie. dell, HP, Lenovo) and they either used an RDP (Remote Desktop) session or have a piece of diagnostic hardware installed that allows a remote connection, which I have only seen on servers, to do so. As for the free part, I could only see that being possible if it was still under warranty or the tech he contacted was in an exceptionally good mood.

Also SUEOHIO RDP is available on vista and 7 as well but it may not be available from the start menu. Sometimes you have to do a run command for mstsc.exe to open the program.

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I never liked vista at all and ripped it out of every computer it came with. Windows 7 is ok but i prefer windows xp and will use it until it cant be used anymore. lol!!!In all of my computers i dont have any of that remote help enabled anyway.All i know is whatever was done or tried apparently didnt work to the persons satisfaction and will more than likely have to be redone until its made right.

5. bzerph

bzerph

While i found vista to be pretty good, atleast after service pack 1, and 7 to be much better and way more powerful than XP even though i loved xp i will agree with you that the computer probably needs more attention. I suggest you tell your friend if there is still an issue have him stop by our forum so we can assist him with the problem.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030115

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice