1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Optical Drive Cannot Be Reinserted

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kyra0808, Sep 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kyra0808

Kyra0808 Thread Starter

Hello,

I dropped my laptop recently, which caused my optical drive to pop out. The screw on the bottom of the laptop is missing, but everything else seems to be in tact. I’ve tried forcefully pushing the drive back in, but it doesn’t not completely want to fit. I’m really unsure of what I should do next.

I have an HP Pavilion 17-G192nr

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    HP Pavilion 17-g192nr Notebook PC (support site)

If that notebook sustained a fall that was of sufficient impact to cause its disc drive popped out, I'm surprised it still works and can load its Windows operating system.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. Kyra0808

Kyra0808 Thread Starter

I’ve had a similar issue in the past and I was able to reinsert the drive, but this time is different. Do you have any advice on reinserting to to see if it will still work?

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I can't find any video or pictorial instructions at its support site for removing or installing its disc drive.

Does it still work and load its Windows operating system after sustaining such an impact?

--------------------------------------------------------------

5. Kyra0808

Kyra0808 Thread Starter

Everything else works completely fine. I just can’t insert the drive back in.

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Does the DVD drive itself look ok, top and bottom still flat and parallel to each other ?
    Have a look into the the area it goes into with a flashlight to see if there is anything obstructing it.
    How far can you insert it before it's blocked ?

EDIT : I assume you can take the DVD drive completely out of the laptop, yes ?

7. Kyra0808

Kyra0808 Thread Starter

I tried to use a flashlight, but I didn’t see anything strange. ( But I’m no expert) The drive seems good as well. I can put the drive almost all the way in, up until where I believe the screw should go back in.

Yes, I can take the drive completely out.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If it stops before the front of the drive is level with the side of the laptop there's something in the way.

Is there a small bracket on the drive for that screw to screw into ? If so is it straight ?

EDIT : I found this service manual at Frank's link :- http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04655191
    If it's the correct one for your model P.22 shows a bracket on the back of the DVD drive.

9. Kyra0808

Kyra0808 Thread Starter

The small bracket is present and appears to be straight. It seems to be securely screwed on.

10. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    The only thing I can think of is to open your laptop and then try inserting your optical drive and see whats obstructing it.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232575

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice