1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Optical drive meets Toshiba laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by YoshoMasaki, Aug 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YoshoMasaki

YoshoMasaki Thread Starter

Hey guys. I have a Toshiba Dynabook A2 here which lost its interal CDR/W-DVD drive a couple weeks back. I ordered a new one (the nice SD-R2412) online and realized it's gonna be a little bit harder to install than I thought. The laptop is a Japanese model from a about a year ago, and is obviously a DynaBook because it's written across the back of the LCD, but the model name shows Satellite 2801 Series (see this image), a series that doesn't come up on the Toshiba site, Japanese or English. Anyway, I suppose it is related to the 1800 series or 1805 series (US) in design. So I know what notebook this is, but how do I get in the bloody thing? The image above shows all the screws on the system except for the 2 hiding under stickers on the front left and right of the display. I tried removing all of these and I still couldn't separate the top from the bottom, which was being held together by something in the area of the keyboard. I know some laptops open by removing screws located in the keyboard, so I tried to remove a suspicious area of the keyboard, but there was nothing under there.

Like all the dumbass laptop companies, Toshiba does not consider the machine user servicable, but I don't feel like paying more than I did for the drive for a porky technician to flip out the drives in 10 minutes. People on other boards recommend buying a service manual or CD from ebay or something, which just means more $$$ and more waiting. Does anybody have any experience working on these things and know how to get in one? I would really appreciate it.

2. YoshoMasaki

YoshoMasaki Thread Starter

Nobody's gonna take a crack at this?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/154054

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice