1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Optical Drive not reading most discs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jenesis87, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenesis87

Jenesis87 Thread Starter

This is a weird one. Today, suddenly, for no apparent reason, the drive (a TSSTcorp TS-T633A) in my brand new Dell Studio 1535 stopped reading a lot of discs (but not all discs, strangely).

For an example, it does read: a DVD of Jacob's Ladder, Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 (a CD-ROM) and R.E.M. Automatic for the People (an audio CD).

It does not read, well, anything else, including The Sims 2 and all the expansions, which include both CD- and DVD-ROMs, any of my Deep Space 9 DVDs or a home-burned backup data DVD.

So it reads, out of my entire CD-ROM and DVD collection, a single DVD video disc and one CD-ROM game. (I only have the one audio CD.)

What the heck? If it wasn't reading anything at all then the problem would be obvious (broken drive...) but this sudden extreme pickyness leads me to believe that something I did caused the problem. The last disc I was able to use in the drive was The Sims 2: Nightlife, which I installed with no problems (that particular one is a CD-ROM). I then put in the Pets expansion (a DVD-ROM) to install, and was told there was no disc in the drive. Since then it has not recognised any discs at all, apart from the three at the top.

Is this something to do with some kind of copy protection (known to be on some of The Sims 2 games) breaking my drive? If so, how do I fix it? And if it's not that, then what's wrong?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It may just need a cleaning with a commercial, wet, laser lens cleaner. You can find them often at 49-cent stores.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758512

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice