1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Optical drive problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mindterror, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mindterror

mindterror Thread Starter

I have an Asus CRW- 522A, that repeatedly ejects once i switch on the computer. When it ejects, i reinsert it, and it reejects over and over. If i insert any cd in, it stops ejecting, and a yellow and a red flash alternates on the drive LED.:confused:
    If i manage to start the windows, the drive is not detected.

I tried the drive in another motherboard, intel 965, but the ejecting problem at computer start wont allow the motherboard to boot.

I think i need to reflash the drive, or is it a hardware problem?
    obviously i cant flash the drive without bein detected. I'd appreciate ur opinions all, thnx 4 ur time readin this:):rolleyes:

2. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Howdy,

If you could firstly boot into safe mode and see if the issue occurs there, if it does then the issue is related to the hardware, if it does not then i'm guessing the issue is related directly to software, settings or anything else Operating System related.

If the issue goes away in BIOS, then boot the system into Safe Mode and see if the issue exists there, post back and let us know how it goes. One last thing, does this ejecting happen whilst you are offline (not connected to the internet?).

Edit: One last test, remove the IDE cable from the CD-ROM after trying the above and see if the issue occurs whilst the cable is unplugged - if it does then the issue is due to a hardware fault and will need to be replaced (cheapest option).

Nick.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There is no reason that a drive "suddenly" needs a new firmware upgrade. I suspect the drive has simply died.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590876

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice