1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Optical Drives Have Disappeared

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Flyright, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flyright

Flyright Thread Starter

I just noticed I don't have my optical drives! I went to look at some files on a CD and noticed the drive letters under My Computer weren't there. I seldom access my optical drives, so this situation may have existed for quite some time without my notice.

They light up when I open the doors and seem to run. They seem to go through the POST check, lighting up in sequence.

I turned the computer off and reseated the connectors, but they seemed fine. Nothing loose. This didn't help.

They are no longer in Device Manager and when I run "Add New Hardware" to re-install the drivers, it doesn't find anything new to install.

Belarc Advisor doesn't see them either.

I have a DVD/CD-ROM read/write drive and a CD read/write. Also a 3.5 floppy, which is fine. Everything else seems fine, except for these two disappeared drives!

I ran Spyware Doctor and AVG virus and AVG spyware earlier today, after doing the MS patches, also did disc cleaning and defragging. It could have something to do with the patches? There was nothing found by the anti-malware programs except the usual tracking cookies.

It's unlikely that both optical drives have failed at the same time, besides they both appear to be working . . . and the computer appears to recognize them during the POST.

Trying to find the drives using a DOS command prompt, nothing except the two partitions on my HD, and the 3.5, show up.

Anyone have any ideas? This has to be something simple.

I have a rather weak Dell 305 Watt PSU, but it all worked fine before - so unless the PSU is slowly failing I don't think that is it . . . but it could be? I've made no recent changes to my system.

Could it be the new patches have done something terrible?

Thanks,

Mike

2. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

Are they enabled in BIOS?
    If these are IDE/ATA, are the jumpers set correctly (Master/Slave)?

3. Flyright

Flyright Thread Starter

Thank you Dr. Chauncey, but I already just figured it out. If I had not however, your reply would have fixed it.

I amaze myself with some of the dumb things that stump me.

I was into the BIOS a couple weeks ago and since I've not missed my optical drives until now, I didn't realize I had turned them off.

Duh.

Thanks very much. I'll try to have a real problem next time I post.

Mike

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702245

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice