1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Optical Drives Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by timmmmm, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. timmmmm

timmmmm Thread Starter

I have an older HP Pavilion Core 2 Duo (2.4ghz) running Vista Home.

One evening we were watching an Blu Ray on the LG Blu Ray player that's about 2 years old. The next morning, Windows always gives me the error message that there is no disc in the drive, even when there is a disc in the drive.

We've tried DVDs, CDs and BDs in the blu ray drive and DVDs and CDs in the DVD-RW drive (original to the PC). When we try to right click on the drive and "explore" it always says there's no disc in the drive and ejects the drive drawers.

I've done all of the Windows updates since it stopped working. Since both of my drives stopped working makes me assume that it must be Windows and not a DOA drive.

I'm pretty sure the drives aren't labeled the same way they were when they were working, but I'm mostly speculating here.

I've run microsoft fix-it. It calls the drives "removable" determines that there is a problem and then doesn't fix anything.

I uninstalled both drives and then rebooted and had Windows reinstall the drivers for both drives. Same result.

Nothing on the windows "Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs" applied or helped.

Can someone help me with something that will work? This is a HTPC and my only DVD player. Thanks.

2. dai

dai

3. timmmmm

timmmmm Thread Starter

I ran Fix-it and it said there were problems, but it couldn't fix them.

Do you think I need a lens cleaner on both drives, all of the sudden?

4. dai

dai

what are you running
    video card brand and model
    cpu
    m/board
    ram
    power supply
    brand
    model
    wattage

check the listings in the bios for 12v line voltages and temperatures and post them

5. timmmmm

timmmmm Thread Starter

what are you running: Windows Vista Home Premium
    video card brand and model: Integrated Graphics (Intel Media Accelerator 3100)
    cpu: Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 (C) DC (2.4GHz /800 MHz) 2 MB L2 cache
    m/board: ASUS: IPIBL-LB
    ram: 2g/800mhz
    power supply: stock
    brand:HP Pavilion
    model: a6400
    wattage - I have no idea where to look for this

check the listings in the bios for 12v line voltages and temperatures and post them Where do I find this?

6. dai

dai

from what i could find on the hp site the psu only outputs 16a on the 12v line on the label

the min i would expect to see on the label is 40a

see if you can borrow another psu to try in it showing 40a or more on the 12v line

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084810

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice