1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Optimising Wi-Fi Boosters and Powerline adapters

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lostatsea123, Feb 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lostatsea123

lostatsea123 Thread Starter

Hi,

I was hoping someone might be able to shine some light on the best way to fix my wi-fi problem in my apartment.

Basically, I have set wireless ADSL2+ in my house, however in my room I get really crappy signal on both my phone and my laptop. I have an RJ45 port in my wall and multiple power points and was trying to find the best way to optimise the signal and speed on my laptop and phone.

I have looked into various combinations of boosters and powerline adapters ( such as the netcomm powerline) and was trying to figure out how to boost my signal strength without compromising my connection speed too much? I can't really move the router because the rest of the connections are up the other end of the apartment.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

lostatsea123

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If it's connected to the router your best solution is to use that connection. Install a wireless access point there if you need the Wi-Fi.

3. lostatsea123

lostatsea123 Thread Starter

Thanks Terry.

How can I test if my RJ45 is connected to the router? Should it automatically detect it if I plug in an Ethernet cable directly to my laptop?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, connecting a computer is one convenient way to test. Or ask whoever set up your router and network.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!