1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Optimum server on speed test

Discussion in 'Networking' started by veryconfused2, Jun 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. veryconfused2

veryconfused2 Thread Starter

My fathers broadband seems to be running at an incredibly slow speed so I decided to do a quick speed test on speedtest.net. It took a good few minutes searching for the optimum server, when it did find one it was in Talinn (he is in the UK), I clicked to change server but none of the ones it displayed were in the UK. (I did then enter a city near to us in the search and it did the test) but I was just a little worried as to why it would of chosen a server over 1700 miles away. Hopefully someone can shed some light onto this for me. Many thanks

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi veryconfused2, and welcome to TSG.

You could start by checking his public IP address. Clicking the following link on his computer will take you to service that will show the address in the top right of the screen:

https://ipinfo.info/html/ip_checker.php

Copy the address and paste it into the address box and click "CHECK" further down the page.

The results should give a Geolocation in the same general area as your father's location and the Reverse DNS should show a domain name related to his Internet Service Provider (ISP).

If the location is way off, but the ISP name is correct, he would need to contact the ISP about why this is happening and what they can do to correct it.

If the location is way off, and the ISP name is incorrect, then there is a possiblity that your father's computer is knowingly or unknowingly using a proxy service to hide his true location and passing all of his Internet traffic through a far off proxy server.

3. veryconfused2

Thank you for your quick reply.
    Next time I visit him I will follow your instructions and see what the results are.
    Thank you

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Is he running a VPN, proxy, or one of thos anonymous browsing services. What browser is he using?

5. veryconfused2

Not that he is aware of. He uses firefox.

6. veryconfused2

I did this and the location was were I would expect it to be and the correct domain name was showing as well.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Is the speed test still showing a far away location?

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I would treat this as a speed issue at this point. So my questions/suggestions are:

Does he have any other device that is connected to this provider, ie another computer, tv/box that streams, cellphone? If so, does it appear to have the same speed issues?

In command prompt, pull up the IP configuration by typing IPCONFIG /ALL and notate the Default Gateway IP address. Also, what is the DNS Server IP addresses?

Next, type in the following commands:
    ping google.co.uk
    ping bbc.co.uk
    ping <default gateway ip address>

What are the results of these ping commands? If they are high (especially the last one), then a long powercycle of all the connecting devices, as well as the modem and router (if one is connected) may help. This involves shutting down ALL devices that use the internet. For the modem, disconnect the line that comes from the wall to the modem.

Once all are shut down start with the modem and when it's all powered up with the lights, connect the router if applicable. Wait for that to power up then turn on the computer in question. Run the speed test and ping test again and see if you get the same issue.

One thing I would ask the ISP (if they let you) is to see if they can find any issues with the transmitting/receiving signals (Rx/Tx), SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio), and if there bandwidth being maxed on either upstream or downstream. Hopefully they can also confirm if there are any utilization issues within the area.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211622

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice