1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Option to create DialUp Connection greyed out

Discussion in 'Networking' started by johnnieq, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johnnieq

johnnieq Thread Starter

Windows XP Home

Modem is installed and did work fine previously. Then someone decided to delete all User accounts except for Administrators.

When I click on IE no connection appears. I go to set one up and the option to set up a dialup connection is greyed out. The only option available is through the network card. I don't have a high speed line so that option is useless.

Anyone know what is going on here?

HELP! & Thanks.

2. mobo

mobo

In the networking folder click create new connection/next/connect to the internet/setup my connection manually/connect using a dialup modem/then configure the Provider..

3. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    If that doesn't work, I'd suggest checking Device Manager and verifying that the modem is showing and there are no yellow exclamation marks.

Right click on MyComputer and then select Properties>Hardware>DeviceManager.

Do you see it listed under Device Manager?

4. johnnieq

johnnieq Thread Starter

It's the "connect using a dialup modem" option that is grayed out. I did check Device Manager, and the modem is fine. Even tried the Diagnostic query with success. I'm thinking that perhaps one of the Services required for modem connections is not started. But I still can't find the answer. And I searched the Windows support site with no luck either.

5. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Do a search for a file named Rasphone.pbk

It's a hidden file so be sure your folder options are set to view hidden and system files.

If you find that file, right click and try to open it. What happens when you open it? Does it list any dial up connections?

6. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
  7. johnnieq

johnnieq Thread Starter

Thanks! I'll try your suggestions and post back.

8. bcutler

bcutler

this hapenned to me twice - the FIRST time my dial-up provider fixed the problem by deleting two folders in my registry. The Second time they were no longer allowed to change the registry. I had to go to the computer manufacturer tech-suppost to correct. It took almost three hours on the phone; waiting, elimininating the obvious( are your connections plugged in good) and understanding the support tech. Sorry I don't remember exactly how we corrected the problem.

ps I am NOT a computer tech

bruce

9. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Have you resolved this or are you still having problems?

10. johnnieq

johnnieq Thread Starter

I've been away for a few days and am getting back at it again today. I'll let you know shortly....

11. johnnieq

johnnieq Thread Starter

Gave up. Clean install of WinXP and alls well. (except I had to reinstall all the old software)

12. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Thanks for coming back and replying and sorry to hear you had to go the reformat route .....

13. chandler1989

chandler1989

I have the same problem with XP Home addition....anyone have any ideas. It is not my machine and I don't want to go through the hassel of reloading......HELP!

14. zbob99

zbob99

15. logistix_111

logistix_111

All you need to do is run the XP installation Wizard again. Instead of reinstalling windows, you do a REPAIR.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167426

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice