1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved options for clean install of windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by fieldhand1, Jan 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fieldhand1

fieldhand1 Thread Starter

First Name:
    harry
    or to upgrade to retail windows 10?
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 16265 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -1988 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 148 GB (89 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0HY9JP
    Antivirus: AVG Antivirus, Enabled and Updated
    i was christmas gifted a crucial bx300 2.5 inch ssd and a retail windows 10 pro 64 bit operating system! i have backed up to a external hdd all but the current drivers. do i (a) install the new ssd and load windows 7, or (b) load the windows 10? i have a pair of clean new formated hitachi 500 gb hdd that i can install after i decide what to do. any help would give me an idea whitch way to go. thanks and i enjoy this site. harry

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Not sure what you mean by "load" or whether your PC will run Windows 10 satisfactorily or what your preference for Windows version is.

If you decide to install the Windows 10 I suggest that you first make sure you have a way to revert to Windows 7 if you should find that necessary or preferable.

If you stick with Windows 7 do you want to install fresh or continue by restoring from an image backup or by cloning? Regardless of your preference I advise making an image backup, so that at the very worst you will not lose what you have now. Or maybe this advice is just noise, 'cause you plan to set the current hard drive aside as your backup.

3. fieldhand1

First Name:
    harry
    TerryNet, thanks for the reply, i should have said install instead of load, sorry for any misdirection. any installation will be on the crucial ssd. it will be the C drive. i am leaning on the windows 7 system with a clean, fresh install. i have a dell precision t 5500 xeon with no hdd's. it does have 32 gigs of ram. i am unable to give you system info as in it is not up and running. it will be able to use the retail windows 10 system if the current dell optiplex 790 that we are talking about won't. i do plan to set the current hard drive aside. as you have said it can be a backup. i thank you for your time and input. have a good day! harry

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Do you already have a Windows 7 install DVD or Usb stick to do a clean install with ?

5. fieldhand1

First Name:
    harry
    managed, yes i have the oem install dvd from dell for this computer.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1202606

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice