1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

orange light, computer won't start

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Muffy7, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Muffy7

Muffy7 Thread Starter

Hi everyone, strangest thing happened this morning...

Ok so i was sitting down watching a video on my computer, and then i got hungry and i paused the video and made some cereal, i came back into my room to find my computer with an orange light glowing, and the monitor was black and not recieving any input...

I have a gateway that i got from an old friend, and so now i can't turn on or off the computer with the button, i plug in the cord to the power supply and the computer turns on automatically with an orange light, and it can't be shut off without pulling out the power supply cord...
    i tried unplugging the supply from everything except the motherboard to see if maybe i was overloading it, but nope still same reaction.. so then i took an extra power supply i had, and it did the same exact thing, tried one more supply, same thing.. again!
    i was plugging the supply into an extension, (6 outlets on one box thing) and so i thought maybe it wasn't recieving enough electricty, so i plugged it into the wall and it still did the same thing... but i know the video card still works because i tried it on another computer, and i know the ram is fine, and i can't figure what it is, because i tried 3 different power supplies and NONE of them worked! oh and i know my hard drives are in good condition, so i need some help!

Serial number of the gate way is:

thanks!

2. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Try going back to your old 384 MB sticks of ram.

3. Muffy7

Muffy7 Thread Starter

i did, i tried every different variation of old and new ram possible, i tried each stick single, and that didn't do anything, so it has to be something else?

4. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Did you try a diff monitor?

5. Muffy7

Muffy7 Thread Starter

Well, i believe it has nothing to do with the monitor, because either way the light on the computer shows up orange, where it used to be green...
    and the monitor works fine on another computer i have, so its not that...

i have no idea what it could be :(
    my best guess is power supply but that wouldn't make sense because neither of my extra ones worked either... and they work on other machines!

ahhhh
    help

6. pugmug

pugmug Banned

From what you state it may be a bad mobo. Unplug the computer,press and hold in the power on button for a few seconds. Open the computer and remove the coin cell battery from the mobo for 15 or 20 min. then reinstall it which should reset your bios to default. Restart with your old ram only.Post back to us.

7. Dennis L

Dennis L

I agree with PugMug, you need to test the monitor. Not much left to test unless you want to change the MOBO. Bring in another monitor to test on your Gateway. Also test your problem monitor on a different computer.

8. Muffy7

Muffy7 Thread Starter

i guarentee the monitor works fine, i just tested it with two other computers, but when you said to hold the power button and replace the battery, am i suppose to be holding the power button that whole 15-20 minutes, or when do i let go?

9. pugmug

pugmug Banned

2 or 3 sec. as stated then just work inside your computer to remove the battery off the mobo.

10. Muffy7

Muffy7 Thread Starter

oh ok, i see what you were saying abou tholding the power button, just to turn it off... hahaha

well no luck even after taking the battery out and replacing it... ughhhhh

i suppose i'll have to buy a new mobo :(

but if anyone knows how to fix, let me know!

11. pugmug

pugmug Banned

The new mobo may cost you more than the computer is worth but that is up to you.

12. Muffy7

Muffy7 Thread Starter

well i decided i'm going to have to buy a new mobo...

hows this for one?
    " ECS 761GM

SiS 761, Socket 754, Ultra DMA 133, 2 DDR 400 Slots up to 2GB, SATA, micro-ATX Form Factor, 3PCI, PCI Express, Onboard VGA, 4 USB's, 10/100 LAN, 6 Channel Audio. CPU Fan Included." "Sempron 64 3000+ $149"

13. pugmug

pugmug Banned

I don't think you understand. Gateway is a OEM builder and use their own mobo's with their own cases and bios if they are like Dell, HP, etc...

14. Muffy7

Muffy7 Thread Starter

i completely understand...

i'm done with that computer, i'm just going to take my parts that i put in, out, and get a new mother board+cpu bundle, and use one of my old empty towers and basically build a new computer in it...

am i completely missing something?

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484890

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice