1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Order of new files added to an open explorer window

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mastic, Aug 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mastic

mastic Banned Thread Starter

I am always manipulation files between several folders so I have several iterations of Windows Explorer open when my computer boots up and showing the contents of the folders that I manipulate all the time. Using XP files moved or copied into another folder always appeared at the bottom of the explorer window and that was good because although they were out of alphabetical order I always knew where to find the new files in the explorer window. They would stay at the bottom until I clicked 'Refresh' or changed the focus to another folder or shut down that explorer.
    Windows 7 explorer behaves differently and places new files in alphabetical order. Is there a way it can be changed so that new files show at the bottom of the explorer window?

Thanks in advance

2. kris141087

kris141087

Hi if you right click inside the folder and choose "sort by" then click more you can then check the box that says "date modified". At the top of the folder you can then click the date modified column and all of the files will be arranged in the order that they have been created, moved or changed

3. mastic

mastic Banned Thread Starter

Thanks kris141087, yes I already have that selected but of course that also means that file types are mixed up in the rest of the 'old' files so I much prefer the way XP worked. Strange thing is that even though I have sorting by date set Win 7 still put one file of a bunch of new files at the bottom of the explorer window!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1010865

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice