organising 'all programs'

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TheTosh

Hey,

should be really simple this one, at least I hope so. My 'All Programs' list is really huge now and I think if I organised it, i could really reduce the size. Does anyone know how I might be able to do this? Please could you let me know if you do.:)

Thanks

TT

What do you mean by organize it? Are you wanting to remove some of the entries from your program list in start up? What operating system?

If you are wanting to do is create new folders in start\programs then what I do is creat a new folder on the desktop drag it into start\programs rename it. Then you can drag and drop any program on the "list" you want into that folder. Creat as many as you need to better organise the list.

TheTosh said:
Hey,
should be really simple this one, at least I hope so. My 'All Programs' list is really huge now and I think if I organised it, i could really reduce the size. Does anyone know how I might be able to do this? Please could you let me know if you do.:)
Thanks
TT
Hi TheTosh,

Once you get organized, by folders or otherwise, you can always "Sort by Name" the existing entries by right-clicking and selecting "Sort by Name" for anyone of the entries from the Start Menu which makes it easier to find an entry.

-- Tom

Once you get organized, by folders or otherwise, you can always "Sort by Name" the existing entries by right-clicking and selecting "Sort by Name" for anyone of the entries from the Start Menu which makes it easier to find an entry.

-- Tom
Alphibatizing is an option and you can it to open in colums instead of scrolling if you want.

SIDE by side colums in start menu win98\se

Click Start - Run, type in REGEDIT, then click OK.

Click the + in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - Software - Microsoft - Windows - CurrentVersion - Explorer.

Click directly on the Advanced folder to expose its entries in the right pane.

Click Edit - New - StringValue.

Type in "StartMenuScrollPrograms"(without the quotes), then press Enter.

Right-click this new entry, then click Modify.

Type in "false"(without the quotes), then click OK.

Close the registry, then reboot your computer.

(The Start menu will now appear in multiple columns instead of one long scrolling column)

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
TT:

If you examine the "All Programs" list, you'll likely find a lot of redundant entries in there that can be deleted and which will reduce the size of the list considerably.

You should consider uninstalling programs that you don't really need and use, then delete their leftover Start menu entries afterwards.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Note that by right clicking Explore on the Start key, you can use explorer to organize the favorites, which makes the process much easier than the wimpy little Window you get in IE. :)

There are also many utilities that will help you identify start menu entries and folders that are no longer active and delete them. That's always a good start at clean-up.

What I do with my systems is create a second folder next to Programs called Frequently Used. I make copies of all the stuff i regularly use, and I create folders to categorize them for easy access. I rarely look at the Programs menu list, so I don't care how big it gets. :)

TheTosh

Thanks for your help. Some good advice. I was actually, i think, trying to find where the list is located in explorer( URL or whatever its called for on the computer). I ended up finding it yesterday by chance clicking when I was not really looking for it. But stupidly enough I have now forgotten what it was called/ its location...:confused: So, anyone?

Thanks

edit:
...duh...found it....right click, open/explore. I think you lot didnt suggest this because you didn't want me to feel bad. Thanks..hehe..TT

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online