1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Organize External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by lschul, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

I have an external hard drive to keep a back up of all my files, but it seems to be so disorganized and I don't know what is in what. Can anyone help me figure out a way to organize it?

2. Moby

Moby

How is your main hard drive organised? Are all your files organised in My Documents? Why not just copy My Docs and keep the same organisation?

3. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

I tried to get it that way but it seems to have too many folders, etc to get through, I will continue to play with it.

4. Moby

Moby

Are you using backup software or just copying the files? If there's a lot of stuff to back up it can take a while.

5. finwood

finwood

You are the one that must organizie your files and folders. If they aren't organized on your hard drive you can't expect them to be when you back them up. For example: I have a folder on my desktop named Downloads. In that folder there are other folders named browsers, computer utilites, graphic apps, security apps, internet apps, etc. In those folders I put the folder with the individual programs in them.
    Once you have backed up the Downloads folder the first time which takes a lot of time (if it is over 100 MB like mine is) the next time you do an incremental backup that only does the new files downloaded since the last back up. In addition to My Docs, which you do the same way, I have several other folders....Info, Music, My Web Site folder etc.

6. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

I am using the Iomega software but I may just copy and paste to see if that helps me keep it straight!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!