1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Organizing music on USB flash drive

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Techster21, May 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Techster21

Techster21 Thread Starter

I like using iTunes to organize my music playlists b/c i can put them in a specific order that i prefer. My goal is to arrange the music onto a USB flash in that same order when i play the music in my car when playing it from a USB flash drive. My problem is that each time I move the music to a PC file, it auto arranges the songs alphabetically or by a song file name when i drag it over from iTunes.
    Is there a way to drag files from iTunes to the USB flash drive and maintain the song order that i have in iTunes? I have scoured the web for months now and I cannot find a solution to this.
    By the way, i am willing to buy a software program if that is what it takes, but i want to be completely sure it is safe and will do what i want.
    By the way, I use Windows 8 at home and 7 at the office if you recommend a different process or program.
    Please help!
    Thanks so much!
    -Gary Hays
    Lubbock, TX

2. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Have you tried opening your USB drive and right click and select "sort by" and select the choice you want.

3. C141

C141

I don't believe that the sort by choices will provide what he is after, namely to be able to play the songs in the exact order he desires. I created a custom mp3 disc some years back & faced a similar problem in burning to the disc in the specific order I wanted the songs to play. I resorted to renaming the songs with a number [starting with 001] preceding each selection & then burned to disc. A minor hassle but it worked perfectly.
    If someone knows a better work-a-round perhaps they will enlighten us!

4. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    I used to burn them in the order I wanted to way back then before Windows Media Player 11 was released.

5. trogdo

trogdo

If the stereo supports playlist files (.pls or what have you), that could be the solution. Don't know if itunes is willing to create a non-proprietary playlist though.

6. Techster21

Techster21 Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback so far. Hoping for more ideas. My main eventual goal is to import the music from the usb flash drive into my car and keep the music in the same order. Unfortunately, I have one playlist with 525 songs and one with 335 songs.

7. stantley

stantley

One way to do it would be to export the playlist as an .m3u file which is just a list of file names.

Then drag-and-drop the .m3u file into Mp3tag and use the Auto-numbering wizard to rename the files. Make sure you rename copies of the files, not the originals. Keep all the files in one folder.

You might also have to change some of the mp3 tags (like album and track number) if the car player also sorts by those tags.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148535

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice