1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Organizing my Music folders

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by m2dai2dak2da, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. m2dai2dak2da

m2dai2dak2da Thread Starter

Hello...
    I have something that is hopefully pretty simple but I cannot seem to find a way of doing.
    My MP3 player collects the artist, title, year, etc of my music from the details tab of the music file (Right click, Properties, Details).
    Sometimes I can change this data simply by going into the Details tab and clicking on the line where the typing is, and then editing it to meet my satisfaction.
    But a lot of the time when I'm in the details tab and the info is empty or not as I want it to be... I don't have the option to edit it when I click on the lines where I would normally type what I want it to be.
    I could obviously rename the file itself, but this is not what I want to do.

Do you know how I can change these folders and/or music files so they can be editted from the Properties/Details like the other half of my music can be?

Thanks for your help!

2. unbidden

unbidden

Check to see if the files are labeled as 'read only' - if so change uncheck it.

3. m2dai2dak2da

Yeah... I've thought of that one too...
    Read Only was not checked. :(

Any other suggestions? I can't bring myself to believe that theres no way I can change this so I have the option to edit the information in the Details Tab.

Attached Files:

4. unbidden

unbidden

Just a guess for lack of a better explanation.

Go into Folder options and choose to show hidden files. My thinking is there may be a 'license' with the "legally" downloaded music which is over-riding your changes.

5. m2dai2dak2da

Arg.... still no luck!
    I've attached another photo. Before when you asked me to check the read only thing, I had checked the music files themselves and they were not checked. The folder that the music files are in however, IS checked as read only and after unchecking it and either checking the option of only changing that folder or of changing BOTH that folder and the sub folders.... it automatically Checks Read only again as soon as I push Apply and Okay. Pretty Strange. (n)

Note: I tried just creating a new folder, moving the music files into it and deleting the old one but it does the same thing.

Sigh.................

Attached Files:

6. m2dai2dak2da

I dont think the Read only being checked plays a role with this problem.
    I was just trying to compare a different Music folder that i CAN edit the files' Details to this Amy Winehouse Folder, which I cannot edit, and everything in the "Properties" And "advanced" portions seems to be the exact same... including both music folders having Read Only being checked off.

Anything else you can think of :confused: ??

Attached Files:

7. unbidden

unbidden

8. LazerDino

LazerDino

I recently began using Winamp as a player on my computer. It is great for editing the tags and organizing your files, but, it is a pay program for the best version. (there is a free version). For just editing the tags, I use Mp3tag. It's free (donations excepted) and has worked well for me. You can find it here.

9. m2dai2dak2da

You guys are being awesome for responding to try to help.... but it just doesn't seem like we can get to the bottom of this!

Unbidden, I followed the PC world site's directions, but my username was already in full control of the folder from the beginning of it all and nothing has changed. So I'm just sitting here baffled at why I cannot edit the folder's details when I'm in complete ownership and control of them!

LazerDino, thanks for trying to help... I downloaded MP3tag, but this does not help me because although it could change what my playlist looks like in winamp so it's more organized... I am trying to make my MP3 player more organized and the MP3 player reads the music informations from the Details Tab (In the properties of my music files), which MP3tag does not change.

Sorry to ask so much from you all, but I don't see why this cannot be changed and I'm very interested in finding a way to do it.
    If you can think of anything or if you find anything else, please let me know. :(

10. LazerDino

LazerDino

What version of Vista are you using? I have Vista Home Premium. I can go into the properties and change all but specific file info (ie: length, time), and I can add info where there is none. Check out the screen shots below. The first two are the same file. On the second pic, I changed the obvious. The third is a different file, just to make sure I could do it on others.

Attached Files:

11. m2dai2dak2da

Hi! I am using Vista Home Premium as well!
    I can do the same that you have shown me for nearly all of my music folders, but I've been coming across some (say 5 out of every 30) that do not allow me to edit anything in the details tab for the music files.
    I really thought that there would be an easy solution to this, but it seems that if I want to edit the info then I should try to delete the folder and download a new one that hopefully CAN be editted.
    :(

Thanks for trying to help!

12. extent

extent

It may sound obvious but make sure windows media player or similar isnt running as this can sometimes change how editable files can be even if the one you are concentrating on isnt actually playing. How editable a file is may depend on the program used to create it in the first place but if they are all files created from the same place (eg your own collection made with the same mp3 prog, or from the same website) then the issue with wmp or other having to be switched off may be more likely. try a restart, do not run wmp and try editing the files to know for sure if its the mp3 causing the problem and not a program related with it

13. LazerDino

LazerDino

I just figured out that I can change everything on Mp3s & WMAs, but I can NOT change the details tabs on WAV formats. Just an FYI.

14. unbidden

unbidden

Convert your WAV's to mp3 (ripp'em).

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699491

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice